dswhite 5

dswhite

Member since:01.01.1970

If shopping's your thing

21.11.2005

Advantages:
Lots of cheap designer clothes

Disadvantages:
Too many clothes !

Location

Prices

Service

Size / range of products available

Suitable for disabled?Yes

10 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. torr
  2. MAFARRIMOND
  3. RICHADA
  1. hazle
  2. TheChocolateLady
  3. HotBabes

Christmas is coming up and many of you will be heading to New York for the Holidays ( or after ) and presumably you will want to do a bit of shopping. In fact probably a lot as this is what people do in NY. Some actually see the sights as well...anyway I thought I will let you in on a New York's other Best Kept Secret
( after Century 21stores) and this is Daffy's department store. It's actually Daffy's - not Duffy's.

Anyway to the point. I just went to Daffy's website which is www.daffys.com to check how many stores they actually have in New York - Manhattan specifically, and I counted 7. So you have no choice but to visit one of them as you will not be dissapointed.

Daffy's advertises iteself as Clothing Bargains for Millionaires. I would call it Great Clothes - Cheap Price - No Millionaires in Sight . However, you can spot a lot of weary husbands perching on occasional chairs all over the place.

Personally I have been going to Daffy's for many years, before I haved moved to the UK and now I live in US again and it's still one of my favourite stores. There is just no comparison with other full-price departments stores as Daffy's offers you a selection of clothes, shoes, housewares, children's clothes etc at a very very competitive prices. In fact, you really are wasting your money if you go to Macy's or such ( nothing against the store ) and purchase clothes there as Daffy's will most definitely be cheaper for whaver it is you want to buy. Of course Daffy's does not have a full selection such as other department stores as it's mainly clothes but in the clothes market, they are one of the best.

Daffy's is great for either cheap, middle of the range and expensive clothes as you will find there cheap clothes at ridiculously discounted prices like for example $1 sometimes! Just because this is the last item in the line or any other reason. Of course this is rare but it does happen. On most occasions you can walk away with something which may have cost you $15-20 dollars where retail value in other shops is $30-45. Similarly, you can get beautiful designer items such as coats, dresses for example for $100 - 200 as opposed to $300 or $500 somewhere else. It really is great. And I definitely recommend it for the ladies who like nice lingerie as you can find beautiful things so much cheaper!
And not forgetting the gentlemen, you also have some great clothes - amazing selection, many Italian or European designers and you will be surprised how much more things cost back in UK in comparison.

All you need is a lot of patience to enter one of the Daffy's stores. If you're one of those people who like to see how things look together as displayed on the rack etc, this is not the shop for you. Expect a lot of mish-mash and browsing through countless racks. You will definitely spend hours in that store. Husbands/boyfriends may have to be left behind. My husband hated the place at first but since he found Skechers shoes for $30 ( retail about $90+) - he is a convert.

I think the most popular store is on 34th Street ( see the website) and possibly it's the biggest but there are good deals in every one of the locations. 34th Street is also very crowded due to the location so you may want to visit another one to be able to browse in peace.

What else can I say to convince you to go there. If you're looking for a perfect dress for someone's wedding or you just want some retail therapy and get loads of cheap clothes - this is the right place. And you will save a lot of money.

I am not sure if you can return things - you definitely can get store credit but I just somehow can't remember if I have ever actually asked for money back. I try to make my mind up in the store - as opposed to my mom who brings home 10 items and then tries them on... don't ask me why

Well, have a nice shopping trip if you ever make it to New York

torr 30.12.2005 01:35

I like NYC, but hate shopping, so this isn't really for me. Enjoyed your review though. Duncan

RICHADA 26.11.2005 18:44

VH for those among us who can afford a shopping trip to New York! Just hope that the weather isn't too bad in Poland when we arrive there and that the shops are still open for a couple of days to pick up our Christmas bits! Richard.

chocoholic 21.11.2005 21:07

Wish I knew about this when I went to NYC, I went to 34th st lots of times! Doh!