Dunlop Crybaby Classic GCB95 F

Dunlop Crybaby Classic GCB95 F

Dunlop GCB95 F Crybaby Classic - original Fasel coils for the vibe of the 60s, optional power supply available (Thomann NT AC/PSA 108096).

Review of "Dunlop Crybaby Classic GCB95 F"

published 04/09/2010 | JeffFromPoole
Member since : 21/12/2005
Pro classic, unrivalled sound that no other wah pedal can match
Cons Pricey to buy these days, basic features compared with new models
Sound Quality
Range of Sounds
Range & Quality of Features
Look & Feel
Ease of Use

"Crybaby Classic since forever"

Here's another of my musical equipment reviews.

Back in the mists of time I played the electric guitar and bought a Crybaby Wah pedal.

That pedal cost me, if I recall correctly, £35 and it stayed with me through thick and thin until a few weeks ago when it's ageing circuitry finally gave up the ghost.

I looked on eBay and found a new one which I bid for and won for a silly price.

The Crybaby has always been regarded as the gold standard for Wah-wah pedals and I can see why. These days Wah pedals are a lot more sophisticated but few of them produce the distinctive sound associated with the all time greats like Hendrix, Clapton and their ilk. Dunlop's own publicity states :

"When you think Wah Pedals you think Crybaby"

So what does a Wah pedal do?

It's a kind of foot operated tone control that takes a signal from an instrument and bends it, with the pedal raised the lower frequencies are emphasised and with it lowered it emphasises the higher frequencies.
Thus, if you play a note and rock the pedal it will produce a WAH WAH sound.
Think of the Theme from Shaft, where the guitar is played palm-muted as the pedal is rocked.

This is probably the best built wah pedal on the market, the casing is heavy cast steel and the quality of the components in it are superb. The fact that my original lasted for over 35 years of regular use bears this out. The weight means that it doesn't slide around on the floor in use.

The point of failure is the potentiometer, a rotary control that is operated by a rack and pinion gear attached to the moving part of the pedal. After some time the core of the pot can become pitted and dirty and it will crackle in use.
It can be cleaned and revitalised but after many years will need to be replaced. This is the fate of any moving part and I will look up what potentiometer it is and buy a replacement to breath new life into my old pedal.
Meanwhile my new one is performing well and sounds just as good as the old one.

I find it great for emphasising high notes when soloing for producing deep guttural tones for rhythm playing and allows for a lot of expression.

• catsholiday published 18/12/2010
    One for my son I feel he has so many guitars and effects pedals that his room is over flowing
  • greenierexyboy published 07/09/2010
    Aye, it's a lovely sound.
  • brereton66 published 06/09/2010
    I have to say I had no idea what this product was going to be from the name alone. Interesting stuff.