Duquesa Playa Hotel, Ibiza

Duquesa Playa Hotel, Ibiza

Review of "Duquesa Playa Hotel, Ibiza"

published 26/05/2015 | stacie17
Member since : 31/01/2010
Wow! I got a Diamond! So happy, it only took 10 years worth of reviews! :D
Good
Pro Price in April, Spacious Rooms
Cons The bird! The Pool!

"Duquesa Playa..tweet"

Duquesa Playa Hotel, Ibiza- very small

Duquesa Playa Hotel, Ibiza- very small

Duquesa Playa

Myself and Mr B have decided to get married next year on the isle of Ibiza. After lots of Internet searching we found the perfect venue so we thought what better way to book than to go out there and see it in person first! Now as I work in a school the only time we could go on our mini trip was in the Easter Holidays, which obviously has an effect on the price.
As April is not really the tourist season in Ibiza, we had to find a hotel to stay in that was open, this is where we came across the Duquesa Playa in Santa Eulalia. We had wanted to stay in Santa Eulalia, having been to this resort numerous times before.
We travelled out on the 14th April 2015 and stayed at the Duquesa Playa for 4 nights. We booked our stay through www.onthebeach.com and paid £486 for the both of us with flights (Ryanair) and one suitcase. Unfortunately for us we did not book at the right time, as a couple of weeks later the price went down to around £400, I just like to keep in mind that the price could have easily gone up as much as it went down!

The Hotel

This is an aparthotel so it caters for self-catering, breakfast, half board or full board. There is 32 apartments altogether comprising of 1 and 2 bedroomed.
Location

The hotel is situated near the harbour in Santa Eulalia, it is on a busy road, with a corner shop just opposite. The harbour is less than a 2 minute walk, and the nearest beach is less than 5 minute walk. There is a children’s park area around 5 minutes stroll away. The main bars and shops in Santa Eulalia are around a 10minute stroll. It is in a very good location to all amenities.
Checking In

We arrived at the hotel at around 9.30pm. The hotel seemed quiet, with just a couple of people in the bar, which was separated by glass windows. We headed to reception where we were promptly dealt with, by a friendly member of staff. She told us all we needed to know, and gave us the free Wi-Fi code for our stay. We then headed into the lift and off to our room. (I love a good quick prompt check in!)
The Room

We were on the 3rd floor of the hotel in a standard 1 bedroom. First impressions were great. The rooms were spacious, clean and well equipped for a self-catering holiday.

The living area and kitchen areas were spacious, a large comfortable sofa which could be turned into a sofa bed. A TV on the wall, with a few American Channels. There was a plastic table and chairs in the living area, which would be for the balcony, but we chose to keep them inside (although we didn’t use them). The kitchen area had a breakfast style bar with 2 stools. There was plenty of plates/glasses and cutlery for our stay of 2 people. However if more than 2 adults stayed in this room, I think you may need to be doing the dishes quite regularly, which is quite apt that they did provide you with washing up liquid and a new dishcloth!

The bathroom was bright, spacious and most of all clean! It had a bath with shower overhead, toilet, sink and a bidet. (No Mr B, a bidet is not a baby bath!). There was a lot of toiletries provided when we arrived, such as a mini toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo, soap, and cotton bud etc. There were plenty of towels available, however there was only 1 toilet roll. I always think that some hotels never provide enough toilet roll, and it’s one of those things I don’t like phoning up reception to ask for! (It’s just a bug bearer of mine, hotels don’t scrimp on necessities!)

The bedroom was again spacious, a little darker in here. It did have a window with shutter, but this didn’t allow too much natural light in. There were 2 bedside lights, and a main light, so it wasn’t too much of a problem. There were a couple of plug sockets to be used, a dressing table and chair and a large mirror. There was plenty of wardrobe space, and coat hangers, which makes me happy! There was a built in wardrobe in the bedroom and then another built in wardrobe in the hallway. If we had 2 weeks’ worth of clothes here then we would be fine. (Although if you asked Mr B, he would have said that I did have enough clothes for 2 weeks, for our 4 night stay!)

The balcony overlooked residential apartments, and a main street, so it wasn’t really the type of balcony I felt comfortable sitting out in a morning or evening and relaxing. It was small, but with 2 adults it was OK. I do like a good balcony and view, but I’m afraid I was left disappointed by this one. I have read on the website that you can request a sea/harbour view room, but even on the top floor I would question how much of the harbour you would be able to see.

Outside areas

The hotel does have a snack bar on the roof terrace where the swimming pool is situated. However this is only open in the summer months, so I cannot comment on this. During April, the weather was OK, there was a couple of gorgeous sunny days, where we spent at the beach, and one afternoon we thought we would spend by the pool. This is situated on the roof terrace, which has some good (OK) views over the roof tops and towards the harbour. Maybe it was because it was in April and not the summer months, but the roof terrace didn’t look like I’d seen on the photos (really? Photo’s lie?). In photo’s they had big comfortable sofas, good lighting and it looked like a lovely place to relax. However when we got there, there was a couple of sunbeds and a table. I did have a walk around the corner to see if they were hidden around there, but that was a dead end. You then have to go up a few more steps to the pool. (There is a chair lift here). Again, in the photo’s the pool looked a good size, with plenty of space around it and a children’s pool. In reality it was smaller and more cramped. When we were there, on each occasion we went up to the pool, to either sunbathe, or take photos, there were 3 adults sunbathing by the pool, and there wasn’t any space for any more sunbeds on this level. During the summer months, I would imagine that this wouldn’t be a nice relaxing place to sunbathe and relax, but more a cramped noisy area. Even though the hotel is only small, I don’t think there would be enough sunbeds available for everyone during the summer months.
Food/Bar

As we went self-catering I cannot comment on the food as we didn’t eat here. Although the very friendly bar staff, did come over with complimentary bruschetta’s which were delicious! They had football on the televisions in the evenings, where we was a few Spanish men watching with a drink. Apart from this, it seemed relatively quiet, again this could be because of the time of year we were there. It seemed a nice enough bar to enjoy a few drinks before going up to bed.
My Thoughts

Ok, I think I have explained the facts of the hotel, now I will go into a bit more of our experience at the hotel.

When we woke up on our first day there, we wanted to use the safe, this means going down to reception and paying for the key. Mr B did this and came back with the key, only to find the safe was broke. So back down to reception he went, and the receptionist (a man this time), came back up to confirm that yes it was broke. He said he would phone maintenance who would come to fix the problem. We went out in the morning, and came back to the room around 2pm, and it had been fixed. Mr B then had to go back down to reception to get the key for it, and then he had to work out how to use the code for it! Eventually we had it sussed!

We are getting quite old (27 &28!), and we needed our afternoon siesta (when in Spain!). So we settled down to sleep, which is when we heard the noise that was to drive me crazy for the next 3 days! A bird! We came to the conclusion that in the apartments opposite, the residents must have had a pet bird, as it was forever tweeting! (And no not Twitter!) It was like clockwork, it would start tweeting around 6am til around 9am. Then we would go out, and when we came back it would be tweeting again! Whether we were sitting down for lunch, trying to siesta we would hear the bird! And I know it is a very small thing, but I like sleep too much!

So we are getting ready on our first night out for tea, and I use the hairdryer in the bathroom. It’s your standard hotel bathroom hairdryer which blows out hardly any air, and with thick long hair I would have been there all night, so I get out my own hairdryer, problem solved. Oh no, it cut out, so I tried my straighteners to see if they would work and no they didn’t. We had the correct adapters but they did not work. This may not seem like a big deal, which it wasn’t. However, if I was to have stayed here getting ready for the wedding, then no hairdryer and no straighteners would have been a big deal, bridezilla would have been out!
Summary

The location of the hotel is in a perfect position to all of the amenities, however it is also in the perfect location to hear the bird! The rooms are lovely and spacious and I cannot fault them (apart from the voltage system). It is the pool area which disappoints me most, and would be why I wouldn’t stay there again for a holiday. A few days away would be fine (on the opposite side of the hotel to get away from the bird!) and it has everything you need.
Ourselves and our families are looking for hotels in Santa Eulalia to stay for the wedding, would I recommend this hotel? It would depend to who. For a family with children, no. For a couple who aren’t much for swimming and sunbathing, maybe. It does have its good points, and the price for a stay in April was definitely one of them.

*If you would like to read more about the resort of Santa Eulalia and another hotel, check out my other reviews*

P.S We did book the wedding venue we went to see!

Soon to be MRS B!