Dyson DC27 Animal

Dyson DC27 Animal

Upright Cleaner - Mains Power Supply - 1300 Watt - Bagless - without HEPA Filter

Review of "Dyson DC27 Animal"

published 10/12/2009 | Salson
Member since : 03/02/2005
Pro does what it claims, safe for stairs
Cons expensive
Performance
Noise
Safety

"Dyson Animal - King of the vacuums"

I have a new vacuum and I love it!!!!!

I am a pet owner and cat breeder so the obvious choice for me was to get a 'pet specific' vacuum. I have had ones in the past but find that they do not cope well with the short barbed hairs of my Dalmatian. So with a bit of trepidation I coughed up the enormous price tag attached to this vacuum with the hope it would work.

I unpacked the vacuum and was please to find it mostly together already. In the box were the usual literature and a five year guarantee which covers parts and labour - my hover was shop bought and the sales person tried to offer me this as an extra so watch out!!!. I plugged it in and off I went. I have had cylinder machines in the past however I found the upright model to be much lighter than I expected and very manoeuvrable I whizzed around the living room in no time at all. The clear dust collection chamber showed the hairs being gathered up.

The onboard tools made it very convenient and pulling the hose out switched it from an upright to a powerful hose. Using the mini head attachment it made light work of cleaning the furniture I turned it on the curtains but the suction was so strong it was not such a great idea.
I switched back to upright mode and by clicking on the switch on the head I moved onto the laminated kitchen floor. It made short work of this I did find that it wasn’t the best at getting into tight corners however the ease to switch to the tools didn’t make this an issue. From the kitchen I headed for the stairs – the bit I hate the most – However I no longer dread this!!. I attached the special stair tool and started at the bottom. It was exceptionally easy and as I moved up the stairs the long hose followed me right to the top (it extends to nearly 15 meters – so will cope with any stair case) When looking back down I had visions of it being a nightmare to get it to retract properly however it wasn’t it went back just as easily as it had come out.

Setting off upstairs it easily coped switching between laminates, rugs carpets and the tiled bathroom floor. The cord stretches well around the house and is about 9 meters in length so plug it in strategically and you can do a whole floor at once.
Once finished I inspected the duct collector and it was nearly a quarter full (capacity is 2.3 litres) I was horrified to look at all the hair it had picked up yet please in the same go. Emptying it was really simple just the push of a button then you sort of unhook it. On subsequent hooverings it has not picked up as much hair so I guess that the old Hoover wasn’t doing as good a job as I thought. The cleaning brushes don’t seem to clog as badly as others I have used. I haven’t needed to clean the filters yet but this looks straight forward.

So pro’s:–
Excellent for removing pet hairs from all types of surfaces and upholstery.
Long hose and special tool makes stairs a breeze.
Light and easy to move.
Easy to switch between surfaces and tools.
Clear collector so you can see when it is full.
Filtration makes it great for allergy sufferers.
Bagless so no costly replacements.
Life long fulloy washable filters
Cons: -
Manual cord wind – I know but this is really the only thing I can fault with the machine.

So if you have pets this is an amazing vacuum and is worth the very expensive price tag. Shop around when buying as I have now seen it with a free car kit worth about £50. Also watch for the over eager sales pitch on insurance as this has 5 year with it.

• Minha published 11/12/2009
    Soun ds useful - I shall keep it in mind ! Hazel xx
  • neenn published 10/12/2009
    I know what you mean when you refer to a 'hoover'... so many of 'us' do refer to a vacuum as a hoover!! Helpful review :-)
  • Abby_88 published 10/12/2009
    Sounds like a good purchase, worth the money - helpful review, thanks! xx