thingywha... 5

thingywhatsit

Member since:01.01.1970

MY SHEETS ARE DAMP. MY HOUSE ISN'T

12.04.2004

Advantages:
Helps keep humidity to a minimum

Disadvantages:
None that I have found yet .

Performance

25 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. missydoc
  2. KnoMo
  3. florrie2

Ebac have had a good reputation for years for dehumidifiers. I used to have one of their older models a long time ago, and when I researched their products against other brands, I found that the Ebac dehumidifiers won hands down.

WHY WOULD SOMEONE WANT A DEHUMIDIFIER ?

Did you know that too much dampness in the air of your home can aggravate those illnesses that affect the joints and movement of the human body such as arthritis ?

Did you know that if the air is moist in your home, this can increase heating bills because moisture absorbs heat and therefore makes your central heating work harder ?

In this day and age where opening windows is not always an option because of the risk of burglary, dampness can actually occur and cause smells to your clothing and upholstery and damage to decoration of the house, such as peeling wallpaper.

SO HOW DOES THIS DEHUMIDIFIER DIFFER FROM THE REST ?

Ebac know that a certain amount of humidity in the air is good. They have fitted a new gizmo on their dehumidifier that actually detects something that they call humidistats (i.e. healthy levels of humidity), and thus their product automatically cuts out when a healthy level of humidity is reached. This feature is something that I have not found with the alternative dehudifiers.

Ebac's styling has changed with the times, and as opposed to heavy alternatives, their dehumidifier is quite stylish and easy to move around the house.

Ebac make a whole range of dehumidifiers to suit all homes and tell you which you need to suit the square metreage of your house.

The Ebac can be fitted with self draining, and for me this is essential, as I am often away from home for extended periods, and do not want to worry about the dehumidifier being full and not functioning properly. A simple system takes the water from the dehumidifier to a water outlet such as bath or sink, and the ebac does the rest.

SIZE OF HOUSE SUITABLE WITH THIS DEHUMIDIFIER.

This dehumidifier is made for 100 square metres of living space, although there are clear indications when you buy as to the number of rooms that each dehumidifier is manufactured to cover.

WATER EXTRACTION

This Ebac extracts up to 12 litres of water a day. That is a staggering amount and during a particularly damp period here in Brittany, I found that it was actually extracting just that. That is a lot of excess water !

CONTROLS

There are 2 fanspeed levels and a standby level. I usually use the least powerful setting and find this sufficient for my needs, and a little less noisy, although compared with the old machine that I had, the noise levels are not even a consideration. Ebac seem to have worked overtime on the design of this machine, and it shows in that it runs smoothly in the background and is not a noisy tool to have at all.

14 DAY HOME TRIAL

Ebac are so sure of their goods that you are offered a fourteen day home trial during which time you can take the machine back and have a full refund, but believe me, you will not want to.

OTHER FEATURES.

The lead has a nice lead tidy at the back so that the Ebac can be put away neatly when not in use.

The no spill water container is a great improvement on the old dehumidifiers in that it is easy to empty and there is a warning indicator when the container is full and an automatic cut off, leaving you worry free.

The Ebac is inobtrusive and stylish which is much nicer than the old ones that made a terrible noise and were ugly to look at. I actually find that tucked into a corner of the room, it is unnoticeable and blends in with the room, rather than being offensive and noisy.

The Ebac is CFC/HCFC free which means that it is environmentally friendly and is approved by the British Electrotechnical Approvals Board.

Lightweight construction and nice colour make this dehumidifier a winner.

DIMENSIONS

Height 545mm (21 INCHES)
Width 340mm (13 inches)
Depth 265mm (10 inches)

WEIGHT
13Kg

PRICE : £169.95 direct from Ebac Stockists Derrys of Plymouth, although available nationwide.

Their site is very useful and their help after sales is immediate. I have emailed them once with a question and was responded to straight away which impressed me.

INSTRUCTION LEAFLET

The Instructions were easy to follow, and detailed although most of the functions on this machine are commonsense ones. For newer users of dehumidifiers, these instructions prove valuable.

OVERALL IMPRESSION

People wonder why you want to use a dehumidifier sometimes and think that just because you use it, you must have a damp house. This really is not the case. I have health issues and live in Brittany which is renowned for its damp atmosphere. Whilst the house may be dry, the air certainly is not, and as I am a sufferer of Arthritis, I wanted to make sure that I did everything that I could to improve the atmostphere in my home as my health matters to me.

Since using the Ebac, I have very little trouble with my joints and find that the air feels fresher and crisper than ever before. It is almost as if the house is more welcoming, and certainly healthier to live in. These are important issues to think of if you indeed suffer arthritis as I do.

Keeping the air from getting too moist makes the house smell nicer, keeps your possessions and decoration in a good state.

I would thoroughly recommend this model for the comfort that it has given me in my home.

Nar 16.04.2004 01:16

Ebac seem to be one of the best names in the business where dehumidifiers are concerned. my friend used to have one, looked like a small business/filing cabinet & it was quite heavy to move, but it whirred away in almost complete silence. its the best thing for retaining a level amount of air in a room and you can usually feel it when you go out of a room and come back after a while - this in actual fact IS the kind of machine best suited for a piano! Nx

sylviesinc 14.04.2004 20:49

This sounds pretty handy, if a little expensive. I use crystals at the moment.

SNOOPDOGGY 13.04.2004 20:14

Better and better everyday. xx