Personal Scales - Mechanic - Steps: 1000 grams - Plastic - Max weight: 200

Review of "EKS 8709"

published 17/07/2017 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Due to time constraints, I am unlikely to be able to find the time to rate members that have received 3 times as many rates as they have given, apologies.
Pro High quality, durable and affordable, traditional style/design.
Cons Digital scales give you a very precise reading.
Precision

"EKS 8709"

First impressions

I imagine not that many people own a set of bathroom scales. I know a lot of people that don’t, and I wouldn’t have access to a pair of bathroom scales if it weren’t for other people in the house wanting to use them from time to time.

Bathroom scales have changed a lot over the years, with the early sets made from cast iron and weighing a tonne! These days you see mainly plastic scales, often with metalwork underneath for the main body of the scales. Plastic construction keeps costs down and reduces weight, but it can also make them less durable to some extent, too.

What we have here is a set of EKS scales, and these are of a traditional style in my opinion. You find a lot of sets of toughened glass scales, but these are reasonably light scales whilst remaining robust and able to take the odd knock. Dropping a set of scales on a bathroom floor is unlikely to cause damage if on floorboards and carpet, but modern bathrooms have tiled floors, and so a less durable plastic set of scales will appeal, with people unwilling to damage their floor for the sake of a cheap set of scales.

My experience

The traditional style is a nice addition to out bathroom, though I wouldn’t say they fit in as such. This is a modern take on the traditional style, and the mainly plastic body is a giveaway of this. We have a large platform to stand on, and my size 11-12’s are fine on these scales. The area could be larger, admittedly, but my feet are large, and unless you have freakishly large 17’s or so then you are going to be okay on this platform.

The scales are stable and have a textured rubber pad on the top to prevent you from slipping. The chances are you will use these scales in the bathroom, and your feet could easily be wet if you have had a bath or shower, though I would advise getting weighed before a bath or shower as I suspect you will be lighter (not sure if this is true or not?!).

The scales are finished off with a chrome effect border, and the dial is very easy to read. On the outside of the dial we have weight in Stones, with the inner measurement giving a reading in Kilograms. This suits all the family, as the parents are in the dark ages with their stones and pounds, with myself using kilograms. The dial is finished off nicely with a chrome effect finish.

These scales could be bought in numerous colours, though these days with the modern models you get one colour option, which seems a bit of a backward step! Modern scales have many more features though, and it could be worth looking at other EKS models due to some clever additions. For example, with some models you will notice movable markers, which can be set as a reminder of your current weight, and can be adjusted accordingly to give you an indication of any weight loss or gain over a period of time.

The fact that mechanical scales do not require batteries is an advantage, but modern battery-powered scales these days are often very accurate, and if you wish to buy digital scales you will be looking for a more accurate reading anyway. Ticking to the traditional mechanical scales is a choice you have to make, and although we have used the digital type and do so in the kitchen, I am happy with either type in our bathroom as I don’t need such an accurate reading, just to know I am staying roughly the same weight as I have had weight loss issues and wish to maintain a set weight.

Price and availability

Having looked high and low for this specific model I have come to the conclusion that it was probably discontinued. Models are regularly replaced to keep up with the demands of the consumer. Expect to pay around £20-£30 for a comparable model, with EKS alternatives falling into this price bracket.

Final thoughts

Overall I am impressed at how well these scales have lasted. They are as reliable as they always were to begin with, and it is worth testing mechanical scales from time to time to ensure they are accurate. You cannot simply replace the batteries on mechanical scales, but the advantage to them is that you do not have to replace batteries, so I suppose there are positives and negatives to each type of scales.

I would definitely buy from the EKS brand again, and we have owned other brands such as Salter, both with their mechanical and digital models. Reliability is not something I would question with either brand, and these large platform models are worth the extra space that they take up.

• snow_drops published 06/09/2017