Review of "Earlex SC165"

published 25/05/2005 | derek-j-a
Member since : 26/04/2005
Thanks to everyone for reading/rating my reviews - I will always reciprocate as soon as I can. For those interested, I am very much into Zen, and my Zen blog is at.. http://zenthoughts-zen.blogspot.co.uk/
Satisfactory
Pro Good at steaming off wallpaper
Cons Jet of steam not up to the job..
Performance
Noise
Safety

"Steam Cleaner?"

If you're into DIY and are in the market for a good wallpaper stripper, then this steam cleaner would serve you well. If you actually want to clean with the machine, that I'm afraid is a different story.

Be prepared to add a lot of extra elbow grease and for a blister or two. In fact, fill a bucket with water, use a sponge or cloth and a good detergent. Not quite so environmentally friendly, but a lot more effective.

Yes, when I bought our Earlex Combi Steam cleaning kit, I was rather disappointed. We got the product home from B & Q and I couldn't wait to "start it up" and clean that stubborn brake dust from the alloys on my car. But it didn't work. Why? Because the powerful jet of steam I was expecting didn't materialise. Just a trickle but enough to burn your hand if you got it in the way, and even though I waited and waited, that's as good as it got. Soon my wife came out to see how I was doing with it and said she thought I was doing something wrong. But no, I had read and re-read the instructions and no matter what I did, it remained the same.

She then decided that it may be the wind causing the problem (although there was very little). As it was all set up, she would try it out on the cooker, but all she got for her efforts was a blister on her arm. And to work out her frustration she attacked the cooker with a Brillo pad.

Inside the box, there were lots of other different shaped nozzle attachments and one was for carpet cleaning. It is like the oblong fixture of a cylinder vacuum cleaner that you wrap a piece of towelling around. Rubbing the carpet with that attachment did clean it a little, but we would have been better off, setting up our Wet 'n' Dry Vax and using that. Better still, why not just call in a firm to clean the carpets?

So the steamer as a cleaning utensil was consigned to the broom cupboard. Well actually it is a space under the stairs, but broom cupboard sound a bit more posh.

The uses it does have are...

It's a quick way of defrosting the freezer.

Cleaning lighter smudges etc of ceramic tiles, but unless you've got yards and yards of them, a cloth is probably quicker because you have to wait until the thing comes the boil.

Finally, in its favour is it's ability to steam off wallpaper and I must say it was worth the £35 we paid for it in B & Q on special offer - I think this model is £40+ in most other outlets.

Thanks for reading.

• L0BSTER_QUADRILLE published 19/07/2005
    It sounds decidedly, not worth the bother. Philippa. x
  • granadan published 19/06/2005
    Thanks - I wont buy this one for kennel cleaning then!
  • RICHADA published 30/05/2005
    Again, thanks for writing! This thing would drive me MAD! There's nothing worse than a labour saving device that doesn't work. You've given me an idea about steam cleaning the alloys though - that had never occured to me - I'll put (a more powerful) one on my birthday list!