Review of "Early Learning Centre Toddle Truck"

published 02/05/2012 | Lbird99
Member since : 07/04/2009
Hi, I'm Lisa, I'm 36 and married with a 7year old little boy, who gives me a lot of subject matter for reviewing especially Lego!!
Pro Built Like a Tank!
Cons Kiss Goodbye to your ankles....
Safety
Seat Comfort
Weight
Storage

"Hooray for Brick Truck!!"

Toddle Trucks - or Brick Truck as ours is known - is a traditional L shaped frame used to encourage a toddler to walk from about a year old. It was not something I thought of buying as Little Man was showing no interest in walking, and due to his other disabilities it just wasn't on our radar. When Little Man was about 18 months old his lovely Physiotherapist attempted to get little man walking with a toddle truck as all the walking frames available were too big for him - to be honest it was not long after he had his spinal surgery so at first he had very little interest in it, but eventually she managed to get him to take a few faltering steps. I decided to get one to have at home so I could encourage him to try to walk at home.

Having looked at several toddle trucks I decided on the ELC one. AT £25 (in 2010) it was almost twice the price of some of the ones we looked at, but it was definitely twice as sturdy. The frame is made of thick robust wood which is painted red at the sides and blue at the front, and comes with a red non slip handle and chunky wooden wheels which are covered in small bumps - an all terrain model!! It comes with 15 bricks, and as Little Man is brick mad this was an added bonus.

Little Man loves his brick truck - He loved to play with the bricks inside it, and to crawl around pushing it, use it as a toy transporter, but as a walking aid not so much!! Luckily he turned 2 and grew into a teeny walking frame so I wasn't so worried about that. He had fun playing with it as a toy and that was the most important thing. However, a few weeks before Christmas out of the blue he pulled out brick truck, stumbled to his feet and used it to walk across the living room!! I was so gobsmacked I had to go wake his Dad to come and see! We have now managed to get him walking on teeny crutches, but they are still slow going and he often uses he Brick Truck to zip about the house, as even though he will be 4 in August he still wears 18- 24 month clothes, and is a little dink! I have had to get used to it making little dents in the paintwork and my ankles, but I can't blame brick truck - just the boisterous driver! And I wouldn't have it any other way!!

So I would really recommend the ELC Toddle Truck for any budding walker - it is recommended from age one, and even two years on it has never tipped or fallen on him so could definitely safely support a littler one as intended. I think once your little one starts sofa surfing with ease it then they may be read to try the toddle truck. The truck is 17 inches high, and just over 10 inches wide so doesn't take up too much room, and ours still looks almost new 2 years on despite several knocks - the door frames have suffered more than the toy did. Although it was pricier than similar models I would say it is value for money, and once little man has grown too tall for this then it definitely has enough wear left to be passed on to another little one - hence it may be worth looking out at the boot sales for a bargain used one.

Available from ELC, Mothercare and ELC.co.uk for £22 , but is currently on offer for £17 which is a real bargain (May 2012)