Ecozone Biobulb

Ecozone Biobulb

Energy Saving Bulb

Review of "Ecozone Biobulb"

published 17/11/2010 | Martinscholes
Member since : 06/12/2003
Pro A really good daylight
Cons More costly than some

"Looks as bright as day with the Ecozone Biobulb"

The Ecozone Biobulb is a truly wonderful invention.

My wife and I have used low energy light bulbs for many years. The first ones we had were horrendously expensive, buzzed loudly all the time and could give you a headache if you so much as dared even glance in its direction!

Later green light bulbs were better, in that they did not buzz loudly, had lower prices... but they were nowhere near as bright as the claim on the pack. "Equivalent to a 100 watt light bulb? I don't think so! Do me a favour!"

And they take a long time to come up to full illumination.

So you can imagine my initial scepticism when I saw the Ecozone biobulb 25 watt daylight bulb.

My scepticism lasted right up until the moment I plugged the bulb in. Wow! what a difference it made to the room we installed the bulb in!

It was after we installed the Ecozone Biobulb that we realised how our normal low energy bulbs give out a sort of somewhat weedy and grubby yellow light. Not really the best type of light to try to read by or sew, for example.

But the Ecozone Biobulb claims to be "close to full spectrum light" which means it is closer to genuine sunlight.

And was it ever! We were delighted to note that it gives a lovely and fairly naturalistic and bright bluey white light. It reminded me of something, but what? Yes! I have it! It reminded me of sunlight on a very slightly overcast day, when the light is suffused through white clouds.

The bulb is available in bayonet or screw fitting (we use bayonet fitting light bulbs) and is of a fairly compact design,with a spiral design to the glass bulb part of it. Actually, in my opinion this works much better that the usual configuration of other energy efficient light bulbs.

The naturalistic daylight glow of this bulb helps with reading and other hobbies such as needlecraft .

One of the advantages of this type of low energy bulb over other types of low energy bulb is that this bulb is flicker-free, a very real concern if you have a person in your family who suffers from photosensitive epilepsy.

It provides 1530 lumens of light and should last for 10,000 hours. It has an energy efficiency of A , which is the highest available, G being the lowest.

They can be bought through Amazon at £9.58 each. Yes, they are more expensive than ordinary low energy bulbs, but then, they are an extraordinary light. We use ordinary low energy bulbs in -for example- the hall, but we use the Ecozone Biobulbs when we need a good quality daylight bulb, for example reading, craftworking, etc.

You can find out more at http://www.ecozone.com/p_BioBulb.html

• Silverback published 17/11/2010
    They sound great, but while Tesco are selling (presumably subsidised) low-energy bulbs at 10p, they're going to find it hard to compete. Paul
  • eve6kicksass published 17/11/2010
    I use these bulbs myself, and they've lasted for years; awesome review!
  • Novabug published 17/11/2010
    Thanks for this, I bought all my bulbs from Ikea, and they all take far too long to warm up and like you say fill the room with yellow! My only hesitation would be the price.....Oh er... Well reviewed. :)