+ - Ed Sheeran

+ - Ed Sheeran

Rock & Pop - StudioRecording - 1 CD(s) - Label: Asylum - Distributor: Arvato Services - Released: 21/11/2011, 12/09/2011 - 5052498646555, 505249864652...

Review of "+ - Ed Sheeran"

published 06/01/2012 | luceey
Member since : 11/06/2009
Thank you for taking the time to read and rate my reviews, I will always return rates... I am also on Dooyoo as xxlucexx.
Pro A unique talent, stunning lyrical content.
Cons None.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Lyrics

"Ed gets an A+."

+ by Ed Sheeran.

Ed Sheeran is one of the hottest UK music artists out there right now. He completely came out of nowhere and won the hearts of music lovers up and down the country with his acoustic style and his incredible voice. Ed, full name Edward Christopher, was born in 1991 in Halifax, West Yorkshire. He then moved to Suffolk where he began playing the guitar and song writing at a very early age. In his early music career Sheeran released a few EPs but none of them really took off. His determination and love of music led him to play hundreds of gigs per year to try and get recognised. Finally he thought he would try his luck over the pond and flew to LA to play any open mic nights he could. He was spotted by singer and actor Jamie Foxx who helped him out while he was in America and subsequently his popularity as a music artist started to grow. Through Youtube and word of mouth Ed Sheeran started to take off and his final EP reached number 2 in the iTunes chart without any backing from a record company. Sheeran’s talent and song writing capability led him to be signed by Atlantic Records and soon after he was appearing on Later…with Jools Holland, promoting his first single The A Team.

+ is Ed’s debut album, released on the 9th September 2011. Despite Sheeran having released 5 EPs previous to this album, this was his first commercial release. The album went straight to number 1 in the UK album charts and has sold over half a million copies. The album is currently number 1 again in the charts which shows a great start to the year for Sheeran. The album has had a lot of positive critical acclaim, mainly due to the singles that Sheeran has released off the album. The album had 12 songs on it and plays for a total of 49 minutes and 55 seconds. The album cover shows a head shot of Ed Sheeran with a rusty coloured effect. The sound of the album is very distinctive and refreshing, Sheeran is a very talented song writer and his voice is divine. Overall, the songs on his album are thought-provoking, sincere and beautiful.

The album opens with the track The A Team. This was the first single to be released from the album, back in May 2011. The song tells the story of a girl who is addicted to drugs and who has to ‘sell love’ to men to fund her habit. The song has an acoustic feel to it and is very beautiful. The lyrics are a little bit depressing but the song is so catchy and definitely unique. The true meaning of the song is disguised behind the genius sound of the track and it is only when you really listen to it and pay attention to the lyrics that you hear what it is trying to say. The video follows the life of a homeless prostitute played by actress Selina MacDonanld. ‘Angels to fly’ is a very prominent line in this song as it represents the girl being free and safe.

Track number 2 is called Drunk, a song about being drunk in the aftermath of a break up to feel some love. The song is quite upbeat with a fast drum beat, the lyrics are sung very quickly too. The lyrics are very clever, like in a lot of Ed Sheeran songs, and are very real. Sheeran even sings about central heating in this song which I don’t think a lot of people could do and make it sound so good. I do like this song however it is not one of my favourites on the album, Ed’s voice is stunning but I personally love songs with positive messages and this one is a bit depressing.

The third track, U.N.I is one of my favourite tracks on this album. I love it because right from the beginning of the song all the emphasis is put onto Sheerans vocals. His voice is incredible on this track! I love how clever the lyrics are too. The song is about a couple breaking up over one of them going to University and the chorus consists of Ed using the letters U, N and I to represent two different meanings; ‘You and I’ and ‘Uni’. Ed raps the verses, at some points very quickly and then he sings beautifully on the chorus. This song is a pleasure to listen to.

The fourth track on the album is called Grade 8 and is a guitar based love song. The song is very easy to listen to and enjoyable but for me nothing really stands out for it to be a great song. It is a lot more upbeat than some of the other songs on the album which is refreshing and I like its acoustic style.

The fifth track on the album is Wake Me Up and is another love song, possibly the most intense song on the album. This track is different to others because it has a lot of personal references in it like favourite films, games and family members. It is quite interesting to listen to but I find it boring after a while because it is so personal that it is impossible to relate to. There is one line in this song that I think is really beautiful though and that is ‘Maybe you’re my snowflake’.

Track 6 Small Bump is a very emotional track based on one of Sheeran’s friends who sadly suffered a miscarriage. The song is very beautifully done but I find it quite upsetting to listen to. It is an acoustic ballad and Ed’s voice is beautiful on it.

Track number 7 is called This. ‘This’ being the start of something beautiful and new. The song is about falling in love, it isn’t one of the most distinctive songs on the album but the vocals don’t get much better than on this song. It is a very relaxed song and is quite sad even though the lyrics are lovely.

The next track on the album is The City. It is a song about you guessed it London which introduces beat boxing and beautiful and strong guitar playing. It is definitely one of the best songs I have ever heard about London. It is a fast paced track which covers various areas of Ed’s life in London, including the shop across the road and how much sleep he gets.

Track 9 Lego House is a phenomenal song and for me it really makes this album great. It is the third and most recent single to be released from the album and if you have seen the music video for it then you might recognise a familiar face in it. Ed Sheeran is very similar looking to Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) and therefore there has been a lot of comparisons made between the two. For this video Ed Recruits Rupert to mime along to the song whilst acting out that he is a huge Ed Sheeran fan/stalker. The video is really entertaining and when you listen to the song it really is beautiful. It is about love and lyrics are perfect. I have seen Ed perform this song acoustically on various television programmes and it is just stunning. I have listened to this song a lot and have not yet got bored of it.

The second single to be released from this album back in August 2011 was this track You Need Me, I Don't Need You. I think that it was one of the first ever Ed Sheeran songs that I heard and I loved it. It is upbeat and quite repetitive but once again Ed delivers with his witty lyrics and boasts about how people need him, not the other way round. I find this song really enjoyable to listen to and I love Ed’s lyric about not having to go to Brit school.

The eleventh track on the album is Kiss Me. Ed’s vocal is stunning on this song, it is very intimate and he sings it so softly making it a beautiful love song. There is a lot of soul and emotion in Ed’s voice and this song enables the listener to hear all these amazing qualities that he has.

The twelfth and final track on the album is called Give Me Love. It is an incredible song to end the album with. The song starts off with quite a long guitar intro and the vocal by Ed is very intimate and controlled. Towards the chorus the song gets more instrumental and then he really sings it out on the chorus. It is quite an emotional song and I love his voice on it. The repetition of ‘Give Me Love’ on the bridge is really amazing and then the high notes which Ed reaches as a strong guitar comes in are incredible.

Overall I really like this album, I enjoy listening to it but I have to be in the mood for it. It is not an uplifting album by any means and there are a few tracks that I always skip. My favourite songs on the album is Lego House and U.N.I, I think these are beautiful love songs and the lyrics are stunning. The songs that I always skip are Drunk and Small Bump. I think that Ed Sheeran is a very talented artist and I don’t think that we have seen the best of him yet. I will be looking forward to hearing what music he brings out in the future as I think that he will only keep on getting better. I love how Ed’s songs tell a story and are interesting to listen to as well as sounding great.

I would recommend this album to anyone who likes acoustic music with a modern twist and who likes a few depressing lyrics. I would have given the album 5 stars but as I don’t always feel like listening to it I give it 4 stars.

+ is available to download on iTunes for £6.99.

Review also on dooyoo under xxlucexx.

• lukester0304 published 18/05/2012
    You should be professional you didn't miss a detail, well done
  • 80smusicreviewer published 29/01/2012