+ - Ed Sheeran

+ - Ed Sheeran

Rock & Pop - StudioRecording - 1 CD(s) - Label: Asylum - Distributor: Arvato Services - Released: 21/11/2011, 12/09/2011 - 5052498646555, 505249864652...

Review of "+ - Ed Sheeran"

published 16/06/2012 | lj1989
Member since : 01/03/2010
I'm back once more. Life is completely different for me now! More updates to follow :)
Pro Beautiful lyrics, wonderfully talented, plays his own instruments
Cons None for me
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"...Not watching it fizzle in the bottom of a coke can"

The album cover of +

The album cover of +

Being very ill towards the end of last year I wasn’t particularly as up to date with music as I would have been six months before. I had heard Ed Sheeran’s ‘The A team’ a few times on the radio but had no idea who he was and I hadn’t even really paid much attention either. However, I sat up and noticed the song when Frankie Cocozza performed it for his X Factor audition and me and my best friend both went out and bought the CD album of Ed’s the very next day!

Who is Ed Sheeran?

Ed Sheeran was born in 1991 in Halifax. He began playing the guitar at a very young age and by the age of 14 he was already writing and recording his own songs. He released his first extended play at this age which he named ‘The Orange Room’. He released another two albums over the next four years.

In 2009, Ed toured with one of his idols – Just Jack. This was the real kick start to his career and in early 2010 he was asked to tour with Example. In 2010 he shifted his attentions to America and had his first taste of success. He was offered to play at ‘The Foxxhole’ owned by Jamie Foxx. Foxx himself gave Ed a standing ovation and offered for him to stay with him whilst in the country! Whilst staying with Foxx he became more and more well known with even Elton John noticing him.

On 12th September 2011 he signed a deal with Atlantic Records and he was propelled to fame, with this album selling fast and a budding fanbase forming quickly. This album reached number 1 in the UK.

Ed’s Music

Ed plays guitar on his tracks and he is a wonderful guitar player. When singing live he also has his guitar with him which I believe displays his talent beautifully. Ed’s voice is soft and reassuring but he really manages to put across his raw emotions. A lovely voice which is ever so slightly husky at times and is an absolute joy to listen to.

Track 1 – The A Team:
This was, in my opinion the song that really got Britain to sit up and listen. It is a lovely ballad and also very catchy. It’s a great summer tune and very chilled out and relaxed. The lyrics refer to a girl who had dreams but recently has become more and more separated from them. Favourite lyric from the song has to be ‘The worst things in life come free to us’. 10/10.

Track 2 – Drunk:
This song refers to a relationship coming to an end and trying to block out the pain primarily through alcohol. It is quite a sad song when listening to the lyrics as you realise his problems are bigger than just this break-up – money struggles etc. I would call this a ballad but it is quite upbeat. Favourite lyric from the song is ‘I wanna hold your heart in both hands, Not watch it fizzle at the bottom of a coke can’. 8/10.

Track 3 – U.N.I
In this song, a break up has occurred because one of them has moved away to uni. I was quite pleased when I heard the content of the song because it is a common issue with students and it was nice to hear it addressed. This again is a ballad and Ed’s voice in this song is brilliant, he has a slightly grave voice at times which I love and this really does make me as a listener feel that Ed really believes this song. Favourite line from the song is probably ‘I don't drink like everybody else I do it to forget things about myself, Stumble and fall with the head spin I got, My mind’s with you but my heart’s just not’. 9/10.

Track 4 – Grade 8
This song is more upbeat which I believe is a good point for it in the album as the first three had been slower and calmer. The song talks about how he feels for a girl and how he will not let her down. Quite a feel good song and a good one to drive to. Favourite lyric is ‘My eyes are a river filler, This drink is a liver killer’. 8/10.

Track 5 – Wake Me Up
Without a doubt one of my favourite songs on the album. The rhythm is very slow and Ed’s voice is clear and crisp over the gentle music and the lyrics are so moving, infact it often brings me to tears! The song talks about how much he really loves this girl and it has such lovely content it really makes me think about those I love. Favourite lyric is hard to choose because there are so many beautiful lyrics to choose from but I am going to say ‘See I could do without a tan on my left hand where my fourth finger meets my knuckle’. 10/10.

Track 6 – Small Bump
This is a heartbreaking song and also quite chilling. The lyrics talk about a miscarriage and the things that Ed thought he would do that he now cannot. The song to me was a bit of a shock because I don’t think I have heard a song with this as a focus before but it really is an astounding piece of music and Ed gets his feelings across so well. My sister had a miscarriage and I know how difficult it can be so can relate to this song to an extent. It seems a bit insensitive to say ‘favourite’ song so I’m going to say the most touching line is ‘‘Cos you were just a small bump unborn for four months, then torn from life, Maybe you were needed up there but we’re still unaware as why’. 10/10.

Track 7 – This
Another ballad but this one has a bit more of a positive content which I think is needed after the previous song, especially if you are an emotional wreck like me. The song talks about the start of a new relationship and how everything feels so wonderful and how he thinks it will stay this way. Favourite lyric is ‘You are the earth that I will stand upon, You are the words that I will sing’. 8/10.

Track 8 – The City
This is more upbeat but does show off Ed’s vocal skills at the same time. The song is about where he lives and what goes on around him. Its nice to have a bit more of a cheerful song at this point I think. Favourite line is ‘I find it trips me up and puts me down, This is not what I’m used to’. 7/10.

Track 9 – Lego House
Definitely another favourite of mine. This song is quite well known and most of you have probably heard it. I love the fact that its slightly quirky – how many singers can you name who sing about lego? But I also love the lyrics and they do have meaning. He talks about a relationship where things haven’t been easy but they both love each other a lot and are determined to make things work though they are aware that there might be a few hiccups along the way. Rupert Grint actually starred in the video for this which is pretty cool! Favourite line is difficult as theres lots of great ones but will probably have to be ‘I'm gonna pick up the pieces and build a Lego house, If things go wrong we can knock it down’. 10/10.

Track 10 – You need me, I don’t need you
This is another well known song of Ed’s and is more upbeat and talks about how another artist isn’t true – doesn’t write their own songs and how Ed feels that it is now time to be free of them. A good song to drive to, lots of attitude and great to sing along to. Favourite line is ‘I'm not you, now that would be disastrous’. 8/10.

Track 11 – Kiss Me
Back to a beautiful ballad here where the lyrics describe a relationship that is quickly turning into love. The words describe falling wonderfully and it takes me back to the early days of relationships. Favourite line is ‘Yeah I’ve been feeling everything from hate to love from love to lust from lust to truth I guess that’s how I know you’. 9/10.

Track 12 – Give Me Love
A strong close to the album. Another ballad during which Ed sings about a break up and really wanting to turn things around and get things back to how they were. A relaxed song and I think it is the perfect end to the album. Favourite line is ‘Give a little time to me, or burn this out, We’ll play hide and seek to turn this around’. 9/10.

Overall opinion of the album

Incase you haven’t already realised, I adore this album and go back to it time and time again. It is always in my multi changer in my car and of course I know every song word for word. The songs are all so strong and it is a lovely album to just listen to the whole way through. I find the album quite relaxing and like to listen to it when I am a little worked up or when I have a long drive.

For me, the lyrics are absolutely outstanding and they are some of the best lyrics I have heard. Ed puts his feelings and thoughts across brilliantly and I really feel as though I understand exactly what he is trying to say. A lot of the situations he talks about are recognisable to most people which is nice as it gives people something to relate to. I believe Ed has really put his heart on the table with this album. He is singing about things that many men would not want to because of embarrassment but he handles these situations so well.

I think this really will be an album that I am still listening to in five years time. It is a modern classic which I believe is timeless and although Ed has finally got his recognition, I still don’t believe that Britain recognise quite how talented he really is.

Its hard for me to pick a favourite song as I have a few that are definitely firm favourites and my favourite favourite seems to vary depending on how things are going in my life at that particular time. At the moment, I think Small Bump is probably the most strong song on the album for me because Ed exposes his feelings so wonderfully and beautifully and he really captures how prospective parents feel when a tragedy like this happens. Its heartbreaking to hear what he would have done but now cant and I really feel for Ed in this song. I often have a couple of moments silence when this song comes to an end just to think about other people in that situation.

This album is absolutely fantastic in my opinion and I am disappointed I didn’t come across him before. As a result of this album, I will be tracking down some of his earlier music when my bank balance allows but, for now I know this album will keep me going and will still amaze me with every hearing.

Why Should You Buy It?

I believe that Ed’s style will appeal to a large percentage of people. Fans of ballads, pop and RnB would enjoy this album and even if you are not a particular fan of these genres then I would still recommend looking this album up as it is a wonderful piece of work which is a brilliant listen. It has reached number one in the UK charts which also proves to me that many other people also appreciate his talent.

Additional Information

The album was released in September 2011.
The album is available from iTunes currently for £7.99.
To find out more about Ed, please visit www.edsheeran.co.uk

Summary

Without a doubt, one of my favourite albums. A real tear-jerker and thought provoker which provides me with inspiration and makes me appreciative for what I do have and determined to strive for things that I haven’t quite managed to achieve yet.

100% wholeheartedly recommended – an amazing album from someone expressing extreme talent.

• trayrope published 17/06/2012
    Excellent review :-)
  • Myredpip published 17/06/2012
    E x I never really knew that much about him, brilliant review x
  • mozzie76 published 16/06/2012