Edding 300 Permanent Marker

Hard-wearing acrylic bullet tip Large ink content and anti-roll cap Line width: 1.5-3mm. Black Markers Model: 300-001

Review of "Edding 300 Permanent Marker"

published 01/01/2016 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
The game is over. Time to move onwards and upwards. Feel free to have a cursory glance at my reviews. The rates, comments and competition wins are appreciated, as are the friendships formed because of the site.
Pro Great performance, durable, value for money, works on a number of surfaces.
Cons None worth noting.

"Edding 300"

First impressions

I am reasonably familiar with the Edding brand but I must admit that I do not own a great deal of their products. One product I do own is the Edding 300 Permanent Marker. This is a bullet tipped large marker pen and it looks as bold as it writes. If you are looking for a permanent marker pen then you are likely to have the dilemma of choosing between Edding and Sharpie, though there is really very little difference between the various brands on the market other than cost.

The Edding range is quite extensive and I will not bore you with a run-down of their range. Each one has a different number consigned to it which I am not familiar with, so I will not simply go through the range and take this data from a source. However, what I do know is that the Edding range has something for everyone, and as I needed a bullet tipped marker pen that would be permanent I looked at this particular model.

This pen is available in a few colours. I own the black ones but I know you can buy blue Edding 300’s aswell. These are the most popular colours but they may do a red one, so it is worth looking out for what is available before you make a decision on brand or design in the range. This pen has a tough plastic body, which is black in colour, just like the cap. I would describe this as a thick marker pen, but it isn’t too difficult to hold even though it is thicker than a traditional Biro, for example.

My experience

Having experienced the Sharpie brand of permanent marker pens I can give an honest and comparable review of the Edding 300. It would be unfair to compare the two brands because of their wide ranges, and I would say that everyone will have their own preference and lean towards either Edding or Sharpie based on their own personal experiences. I am still not happy to commit to just one brand, but what would be fair to say is that the Edding 300 is a trusty and reliable permanent marker pen for my work needs.

I do not need to use a marker pen that is permanent because I could so easily just use a board marker, for example. I use this pen for writing big and bold on paper to advise customers of things. For example, if I am informing them that a price has changed or my terms have changed then I can do so in bold letters that they can easily read. Whether or not they take any notice of this is another matter, but this pen isn’t to blame for that.

The bullet tip means that you just end up with a consistent letter thickness. I like this because with an angled tip you can alter the tip thickness but this is not always a good thing. I prefer to write in a consistent thickness at times, and when I am using this pen I am only using it for text.

From time to time I will use the pen for writing on hard plastic surfaces. This is where the durability and versatility of this pen comes into its own. I know that over a long period of time wear will fade the text, but this permanent ink will stay on the plastic for a long time without worry of it smudging after just a short period of time being allowed to dry.

The pen itself is very good quality and although it is a bit thicker than a normal pen it isn’t too chunky. In fact I would liken it to a Sharpie in that it is ‘almost’ like a normal pen and that it can be handled in much a similar fashion. The tip shows no wear or ripping of the fibres after use on wood or other textured surfaces, though I imagine it all depends on how rough a surface it is used on as to whether it will last.

Price and availability

Online you can buy the Edding 300 Permanent Marker individually for around 70p. Once you take into account postage costs it is much better value to buy a pack of ten for around a fiver plus postage. You will find sellers on eBay and Amazon.

Final thoughts

I am delighted with the performance of the Edding 300 because I know that I have another few pens to get through once this one runs out. I have used permanent markers in the past at work in the office and for craft use. I have never used another type of permanent marker for use on plastics or harsher surfaces, so it is nice to see a very good performing pen come to life and live up to its name on such surfaces.

Overall I will have to award the full five stars to the Edding 300 Permanent Marker pen. I think that the quality is fantastic and the price is very reasonable, especially when buying in bulk. The prices are actually very competitive when compared to the Sharpie alternatives.

• cath_del published 15/01/2016
    VH
  • RICHADA published 04/01/2016
    Very interesting as it is not a brand that I've heard of - all of ours are Staedtler. R.
  • sandemp published 02/01/2016