Eden Hall Day spa (Nottinghamshire)

Eden Hall Day spa (Nottinghamshire)

Review of "Eden Hall Day spa (Nottinghamshire)"

published 29/03/2006 | bonsy
Member since : 16/08/2004
Pro Great food, great people, lots to do, very relaxing and a day spent at your leisure
Cons Products are very expensive, your limited to have lunch when they schedule it not when you want it
Hygiene
Staff service
Price level
Cuisine
Atmosphere

"Great day out to relax, unwind and pamper yourself"

I paid for 2 relaxation days for my boyfriends xmas present (luckily he asked me to go with him :) ). This involved full use of all equipment through the day 9:00 till 5:00, lunch, and a back massage. He decided when booking the day that we deserved a facial each also, so we went with the relaxing day facial for £27 each. The relaxation day was £85 each.
You start off by going to reception, they explain everything to you. You are given a card (which you use throughout the day to put any drinks or additional snacks on, which you then hand back and pay at the end of the day. Much better than carrying a wallet around. She then gave us a locker number and off we went.
In the locker is your towels and robe, and your schedule for the day. This tells you what time you are scheduled for dinner and when your treatments are booked for. You can change your towels at reception throughout the day as many times as you want. In the ladies you have a seating area, a vanity area (with hand lotion and hair dryers), you have toilets, showers with shampoo, conditioner and shower gel (all free!). You also have a communal dressing area or for the more shy ladies you have cubicles you can use. My boyfriend said the mens dressing rooms where very basic and didn't have a vanity area, but had the free shower gel and shampoo etc.
You can walk around in your robes all day if you want or whatever you are comfortable it. We didn't do any classes even though I wanted to. There were many to choose from e.g. water aerobics, aerobics, yoga, step etc. There is also a gym in there which has everything from exercise machines e.g. bikes, running machines, rowing machines, step machines etc. To weight machines and punch bags etc. We did spend an hour in the gym and it was really good. You have plenty of TV's which had MTV on to keep you entertained whilst exercising.
We went up to the cafe, and had a coffee and a absolutely devine piece of cake. Which we ate in the lounge room. The lounge room had lots of nice comfy sofas and chairs and has a great view of the gardens. There was a water feature in the middle of the room , which would have been nice if someone had cleaned it out.
Most of they day we spent in the spa. The swimming pool is nice, you have 2 seperate sections in it, one is a jacuzzi and the other is similar but not as good. They did open the pool up so you could swim outside, however the water wasn't really hot enough and the air was far too cold to stay out there for long. You have lots of various different rooms you can go in which all offer slightly different spas. E.g. a herbal room, which is a hot room but the air has hints of eucolyptis to open your air waves, which was really nice and refreshing. There are 2 suana rooms, one has music playing the other has relaxing animal sounds. You then have a steam room and a hot room. They were all really good. After that there is a foot massage area where you sit down with your feet in water over some water shoots, which massage your feet. VERY NICE! There is a ice cold bath, and trust me it is ice cold. Then around the room there are various different water jet rooms. Each to either cool you down after you have been in a hot room or to massage you. There is also a section which deposits finely crushed ice that you are supposed to rub yourself with, but I didn't fancy that.
They handy thing about the spa section is that there is a big board on the wall which tells you all the treatments and suggests the order in which you do them in to get the most out of them. Or you can do what we did and just try them in any order, much more fun that way :)
Just before lunch we went upstairs to have our back and facial treatments done. We both had a different massager. I had Alexis and she was wonderful. I would suggest though if you have a back massage ask for a gentle not firm one. I thought I liked it firm but firm is too firm for me. It was still rather relaxing though, but i have to admit the facial was much nicer. As well as applying a lots of various different products, she massages your face, neck, shoulders and head. Very hard not to feel relaxed! Each treatment took around 30mins. Afterwards she goes through what treatments she did and what the different products do. Then you get a copy of the sheet so that if you want to buy any of the products you can do to the spa shop and purchase them. However, they are very expensive.
The only disappointing thing about the day was that my boyfriends treatments where cut short by 15 mins and he was kept waiting for 15 mins. we put it down to the fact his massuse Helen was running late. Other than that he said she was really good, but he did feel rushed. It was a bit disappointing as this was really his day as it was his present. He did write in to say he was disappointed and they wrote back giving him 55mins of free treament, whatever he wants. Which we thought was very very good, so we will definately be going back. Even without that we will definately be going back anyway as it was such a great day.
Lunch was fabulous. There was a 3 course set menu to choose from which had great choice. As well as this there is a buffet that you can help yourself to as many times as you like. The only disappointing thing was that our lunch was at 2:00pm and by this point we were very hungry and the buffet had been depleated alot but had not been replenished very well, so for us late eaters there wasn't really much left. So I would definately advise to book your treatments early morning or afternoon, that way you stand a chance of getting dinner early on and getting a full choice of the buffet.

• angelatawn published 29/03/2006
    i still think these places are far too expensive, when all you're doing is going to a glorified gym. and i'm surprised that you have to pay for your drinks aswell. as much as i'd like to treat the bloke to this, i just simply can't afford it. angela x
  • Shoka published 29/03/2006
    Sounds lovely! Wish I was there now...
  • trevorbrock published 29/03/2006
    Hi - really great detail and real sense of your personal , honest view - ta - Trevor