Eden Hall Day spa (Nottinghamshire)

Eden Hall Day spa (Nottinghamshire)

Review of "Eden Hall Day spa (Nottinghamshire)"

published 01/07/2006 | helencbradshaw
Member since : 29/07/2001
thinks Ciao readership is getting a little outdated in its expectations in the digital age.
Pro Extensive Facilities, Affordable Prices
Atmosphere

"Garden of Eden.."

Outdoor Pool

Outdoor Pool

I have been overdoing it with the hours at work lately, and this week they were really taking their toll. Recently I have been surviving on a few hours sleep, and working until very early in the morning, (despite having started the previous morning!). My working life usually means I am driving somewhere in Britain or staying in a hotel and never seeing the light of day. Travelling home this week, the tiredness was catching up with me, and the stress was DEFINITELY getting to me!

Enter Eden Spa. I have always been a lover of a regular spa day visits, and have driven past Eden Spa several times.

About Eden Spa
--------------------

Standing in its own grounds, which are largely lawned, this property stuck out as a little odd to me, slightly out of place, as there is nothing around it. It is an impressive building however, and is Grade II listed.

Eden Spa is actually situated in the village of Elston on the A46 which runs between Lincoln and Leicester, and is just five miles from Newark and easily accessible from the A1/M1 and A52 roads.

The spa itself is the sister spa to the better known Hoar Cross Hall in Staffordshire. (actually founded by Steve Joynes Senior). Eden is actually a Day Spa, and there are different packages for Day Spas but overnight stays are not offered. There are six packages in total, ranging from the basic "Relaxed" package at £69 to the most expensive "Pampered" package retailing at £160. Men are not forgotten, with the "Time Out for Men" package at £90.

Booking and Arrival
-------------------------

My husband booked the day visit as a treat at the last minute, only the day before. He opted for the "Destress" day for me, at £85, and this included one treatment, which could be a 25 minute facial or back massage. There was also the possibility that I could add an additional treatment to my day.

I was advised to arrive around 830am, and I made the ten minute journey to arrive just after that time. "Check-in" was efficient, and there were a number of small but important touches. Lockers are all touch pad activated and you choose the pin # thus avoiding the need to pin a locker key about your person. You are also provided with a "keycard" so you can charge any additional products and services to your card to avoid carrying cash. The locker contained a robe, and two towels, as well as the day's personal schedule and exercise classes and even a motivational book as well as a small carrier bag which proved very useful when moving about wet areas with books and reading materials.

The Spa had began to impress me from the moment I opened the doors to reception and stepped over the glass floor, with a fountain below. There were plenty of staff to guide you to where you needed to be, which I found a little unusual until I read my "sitemap" and realised just how large the Spa was! The décor was impressive throughout, with luxurious slate and stone tiles covering the floors, a greek theme with pillars and signage, and mosaic tiles throughout the aqua spa area. The use of iron and glass furniture with cream cushions completed the look.

My first stop was to the changing rooms, which were very spacious, and had a huge vanity area for drying hair. There were ample showers and toilets and private cubicles for changing. Once changed, I made my way to the Vitality Swimming Pool. This was an excellent size and had plenty of water features, including some very high powered jets (good for a back massage) and two swim up spa baths. A small bridge spanned the pool and also led to the outdoor pool area, which was fantastic as the slightly cool breeze and sun really helped me relax and start to enjoy my day.

Treatments
-------------

My first treatment was scheduled for 930 am and so I made my way to the Treatment Reception to register. There is a pre-treatment waiting area, which was comfortable, and you are required to complete a small medical questionnaire. There were plenty of different treatment rooms leading off, again all were luxurious in their feel, and using Elemis and Thalgo products in the main. My back massage was enjoyable, if that is the word, although some of those knots hurt a lot. I also treated myself to a desensitising facial which uses Thalgo products and is ideal for fragile and sensitive skin.

Like all good spas there is a post-treatment relaxation room, complete with Greek statues and some fabulous bean bags as well as regular recliners, although I soon wandered along to the Juice Bar to enjoy a nutritious raspberry and muesli Smoothie, in the Palm House Conservatory, going by the unfortunate name of Barbie Pink.

There is a huge range of treatments available including Back, Body and Facial treatments from Elemis or Thalgo. It is also possible to use solariums, or have makeup treatments, and they offer an interesting Aquasun Therapy treatment combining water jet treatments with UV sun canopy to recreate the feeling of sunshine, and is recommended for persons suffering from S.A.D. and similar.

Other Facilities
-------------------
Normally when I am being sold a day like this and I am told it includes use of the Sauna, Steamroom, etc, I do not take a lot of notice) particularly as I stay in hotels nearly every night of the week and hardly ever use the facilities!) The Aqua Detox Centre, however, was very different and quite special by comparison. This area was fairly large and included a Saunarium, Steam Room, Herbal Room, Hot Room, Sauna Room, tropical and mist showers, foot baths, foot massage pools, the works. There is a schedule on the wall which gives advice on the order in which to use the facilities, although you could just do your own thing if preferred. The different between the hot treatments, and then rubbing yourself down with ice was refreshing, if a slight shock to the system.

Food and Drink
-------------------

All packages include a three course lunch at the Seventh Heaven Restaurant on the first floor. The dining room(s) were extremely impressive and I would not have been disappointed if the décor in a top restaurant was similar. There were in fact several small dining rooms leading from a central corridor, together with the Juice Bar, which also sold snacks, and other drinks. All guests are offered a choice of 4 starters/mains and sweets, and in addition there is a hot and cold buffet which you could visit as many times as you wished. I didn't feel the buffet options were the healthiest I had ever encountered at such a place and felt my lunches at Turnberry left me feeling better inside, but it was enjoyable nevertheless and my focus was on relaxation not on detoxing anyway (so I ordered a large glass of Chenin Blanc to accompany my lunch).

This was possibly a mistake as they also suggest an enjoyable glass of champagne with strawberries in the juice bar, to round off the day, which unfortunately I could not participate in, unless I decided to abandon the car.

The property has extensive grounds and it was important to take advantage of the good weather. There were plenty of loungers outside, around a central yard and water feature, leading over to the gym.

I spent the last 30 minutes of my day relaxing in the Reading Room adjacent to the Spa Shop. This was a lovely room, filled with the comfiest and sumptuous sofas that I had seen all day, and was also cooler than the conservatories and pool seating areas.

The Spa was extremely popular with groups, most of which were hen parties, and there were several groups of ten or more there. (discounts are available for group bookings) Women outnumbered men by about 40:1 and I think I only saw two all day.

If there was one thing that surprised me, it was that the towelling slippers had to be purchased at a cost of £3.95 - most Spas I have visited have provided some kind of footwear free of charge. Most people seem to be prepared and had brought flip flops, and luckily for me, I had worn suitable sandals to the venue. I also would have liked more obviously branded toiletries in the bathrooms and showers - the smell of wonderful toiletries always adds to that feeling of indulgence.

I had read that a gratuity was added "as a result of guest requests". I hate this kind of gratuity, and I wondered if it was going to be applied to my whole day, which came to £135 in total. In fact it was only applied to the drinks elements, and so was an affordable £1! The receptionist did ask if I wanted it to be applied to my bill, and I would not have felt uncomfortable if my answer had been no for any reason. Service had been polite, friendly but non intrusive all day, no matter where I went.

Finally, anyone who books receives a voucher for £15 off treatment at their sister hotel Hoar Cross Hall. Given that it is only in Staffordshire, I will be taking them up on that offer soon.

Eden Hall Day Spa
UK

Telephone: 01636 525555

www.edenspa.co.uk

• jo145 published 21/10/2006
    Too far for me to go. I enjoyed Stobo Castle near Peebles reviewwd and updated after staying for a few days! Enjoy your freebie Jo x
  • shinejunkie published 27/08/2006
    Thanks for writing such a thorough review! I'm off to grayshott spa Guildford in the morning, Mum's 60th birthday present, so just reading up on everyone's experiences to know what to expect - very excited now
  • gemax2 published 25/08/2006
    This sounds lovely i have been wanting to go somewhere for quite a while now but would really like to take my man is there anywhere you could recommend that would be good for this ? He loves massages more than me how sad is that !!!