Educating Rita - Willy Russell

Educating Rita - Willy Russell

Play - ISBN: 3425040995

Review of "Educating Rita - Willy Russell"

published 18/10/2000 | katiefletcher
Member since : 11/06/2000
Satisfactory
Pro Got me good grades
Cons Bored me to death (practically)
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar works?

"Not a classic by any account"

How can a book like Educating Rita end up on my GCSE syllabus? Not only have we watched the dreadful film, with the attrocious music and acting, but we also had to pick our way through the book. I must say that this play alone is making my life so dull it's unbelievable. The story tells of a young woman born into a working class environment. She feels that simply completing one course at the open university will move her up to middle class. It's ludicrous. There isn't much else happening in the story and there are only two characters all together. On the plus side, I got an A* for my speaking...

This review was read 1962 times and was rated at

• sidneyb79 published 17/03/2007
    I studied this play for A-Level and found it very good. Although the film is not very good, the play itself is. The subject matter might be a little fanciful but the writing style is good. You need to put a lot more detail into this review. Publisher/price information, something about the attitudes of the time, a bit about the many different literary and cultural references and thier 'miscontext' on Rita's part etc.