Electrical and Electronic Engineering (BEng)

Electrical and Electronic Engineering (BEng)

Review of "Electrical and Electronic Engineering (BEng)"

published 01/07/2013 | lloydb619
Member since : 21/06/2013
Pro Great lecturers. Easy to switch between courses. Teaches in a relaxed way. Learn so much!
Cons None!
General Standard of Tuition
Quality of Lectures
Structure of Course
Workload

"Great course in a great university!"

I have just finished my 3rd year at Brighton university studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE), in a few months time I will be completing my Masters there in Digital Electronics, Computing and Communication (DECC).

The university if fantastic! But to stop me spiralling out of control I will try and focus on the course only.

Right from first year I felt that I have fitted in, the lecturers are much more relaxed and casual than I had imagined, with them cracking jokes about keeping your back to the wall as it's a gay city (not that you really notice it) on our first introduction. All the lecturers are extremely easy to get a long with and are down to earth, not like teachers at school, you can actually sit down and have lunch with them or even invite them to parties or BBQs! They don't put too much pressure on you (although if you are not pulling your weight they do start to be more harsh to get you to do your work) which makes lectures more enjoyable and helps you to see the course as more of a hobby such that you 'want' to do the work, yet they still include the business aspects such as make you keep a log book and write reports etc.

As said above, the lectures are quite relaxed, yes you still need to show basic respect by being quiet and arriving on time, but other than that you can have conversations within the class which expand your knowledge even further about broader areas, such as when I was being taught about sound and our project was to design a speaker / filters, our class discussion went on to teach us about the frequency range of human hearing and the frequency of random things which we don't need to know yet it is still interesting and gives us an insight into other areas.

Without saying too much that you can find on the university website, the course gives you the option to do either EEE or DECC; everyone starts the same which focuses on the basics of electronics, but then the 3rd year you get to choose between focusing on larger electrical stuff like power stations (EEE) or to do more micro-controllers and smaller scale electronics (DECC). I choose DECC... it's a shame there wasn't more flexibility as I would have liked to do some modules from EEE as well, but if you ask they are happy to give you the notes or you could even attend the lectures still but wouldn't be graded on them. You don't have to choose which path you take until the end of second year so you've got plenty of time to think about, you can select either when you apply initially and then change easily whenever you like.

The ease of doing a Masters is also perfect for me! I choose at the end of the second year that I wanted to do Masters (you have to get above 60% in your second year to do it... I got 59% but they still let me on), and they combine the first year of Masters with the third year of your undergraduate. It actually seems to work out easier to do a Masters, well at least so far, as they replace one of your modules in the third year with a Masters module such that you have the same amount of work as everyone else, yet the Masters module is 'Integrating Case Study' which I found to be significantly easier than the module I would have done otherwise!

The facilities you have available are plentiful! When I applied I knew I would have access to their basic workshops etc but they give you so much more than that. The technician for the electronics lab is great, he doesn't have a care in the world and will help you even more than some of the lecturers do, he'll probably even do your work for you if you paid him... well maybe not but he always tries to help and gives you useful advice as well as access to all the electronic components, he's even stayed in university until 1AM with me before simply because I needed to finish some work and he had to wait for me to go so he could lock up!
Other than the electronic labs which give you power supplies, multimeter, oscilloscopes etc. you also have access to the mechanical area. The technicians in the mechanical area aren't as helpful and are really grumpy, but luckly you don't really need to use the facilities they offer to often. But if you did want to, you have unlimited access to the wind tunnels, machine lab, metal, wood, plastic working labs, laser cutters, moulding stations, everything!

Ooh almost forgot, one module which everyone does you get to build a robot like on robot wars, and the lecturer was actually successful on Robot Wars himself! (Search for Ian Watts), it is a fantastic module and you get to learn both mechanical and electrical things o such a broad range and then you can focus in on whatever you want to further your career in.

Overall it is a fantastic course that certainly prepares you for the future and covers everything you need to know plus more! The lecturers are fantastic and the university offers everything you need to both learn and enjoy your time there.

• ilusvm published 28/07/2013
    An interesting read :-)
  • catsholiday published 01/07/2013
    All the best with your future career.
  • cr01 published 01/07/2013
    Always good to hear positive feedback about a university course, particularly considering how much they cost these days.

Product Information : Electrical and Electronic Engineering (BEng)

Listed on Ciao since: 29/06/2013