Elle

Quality of journalism
Quality of features
Price
Quantity of advertising

"Flamin' Elle - What a Load of Rubbish"

I'm not a big buyer of magazines; usually only doing so when I'm at the airport and desperate for something to take my mind off the flight - which is why I bought this one. I have to admit, I was swayed by the fact that it included a free make-up bad thingy; (yes, yes; I know that is a little sad!!!) but my own make-up bag was looking a wee bit shabby, so I decided to go for it.

I was also partly convinced to part with my money because it looked like a pretty hefty read, - emblazoned over the front page was "420 page Big Sexy Fashion Issue", so I thought it would keep me going throughout my three hour flight. Unfortunately, though, it came in a sealed cellofane bag, so I could not leaf through it beforehand to get a better idea. Still the stories on the front page looked interesting enough, and the price - £2.80 - was about on a par with most of the other big glossies.

Well, what a disappointment "Elle" was. In the first thirteen pages alone, there are eleven pages of adverts - the other two are the contents pages. That should give you some idea of how much advertising is in this magazine. Looking through the contents page, you will see there is surprisingly little in the way of features for a magazine of this size - another massive clue.

There are a few good, interesting articles in this month's Elle. I was particularly interested to read the "Diva Special" section about pop icons such as Kylie, Madonna, Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson - which was the featured front cover story that caught my eye, initially. This included an interview with each of the stars, about their careers, etc - something which is close to my heart and something I found very interesting.

There was also an enlightening and informative article about a young woman's battle with bulimia, and another about a girl's problem with stammering - both of which were full of information about the disorders, very well written, with lots of useful information and helpline numbers if they should be needed.

Unfortunately, after that - I didn't find much at all to interest me. The letters page, I suppose, was about the next best thing - but most of the magazine is littered with either pages and pages either full of ridiculously expensive fashions that only the very rich can afford; or ADVERTS!!! There are so many bloomin' adverts in this thing that THEY should be paying ME to read it! I cannot believe I parted with my hard earned cash just to be bombarded with images of overpriced perfumes, potions and clothes that I cannot afford.

In all, the 420 pages turned out to be about 50% adverts, 30% of overpriced fashion and perhaps 20% content of any real interest.

I would only recommend buying this magazine only if it has a free gift, which, if it is a lipstick for example, might be similar in value to the cover price. Otherwise it's just a waste of time. It did not take me long to read it, and spent half of my flight with no magazine at all!!

A summary, then - lots of glossy pictures of twiglets in posh frocks; lots of adverts, and little of interest to read!! Now, I remember why I don't buy magazines very often.

It gets two stars from me - simply because of the free gift - which is it's redeeming feature!!

• cjohns published 02/07/2004
    I hate the amount of adverts in women's magazines. One to avoid I think. xx cjohns
  • ariadne published 20/04/2003
    Totally agree with you! x
  • COOOEEE published 02/02/2002
    I must admit it was the title that drew me in to read this opinion. I am glad I did as I won't be buying this mag after reading your op. Fiona

Product Information : Elle