Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Nightwish

Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Nightwish

Review of "Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Nightwish"

published 12/05/2015 | PerpetualMotion
Member since : 05/03/2015
Woo hoo! Won the Lottery for that awful film I had to buy and watch again! Justice!
Pro Melodic, great singer
Cons A couple of heavier tracks which might not suit all
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Surprisingly peaceful 8th album"

Nightwish

Nightwish

This is only the second symphonic metal album I've ever listened to with any great attention, the first being Delta by Visions of Atlantis. The artist Nightwish are originally from the small town of Kitee in Finland and were fronted by soprano Tarja Turunen. Turunen was sacked by the other members of the band in 2005, and have gone through a few line-up changes since then before settling on Dutch singer Floor Jansen.

The rest of the band is made up as follows:
  • Tuomas Holopainen - keyboards
  • Marco Hietala - bass & vocals
  • Emppu Vuorinen - guitars
  • Jukka Nevalainen - drums
  • Troy Donockley - Pipes, flutes & whistles

This is more an operatic style of metal than what you would generally associate with the genre. There is very little screaming and it is quite melodic, relying on woodwind instruments to create a very "Middle Earth" style.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful is Nightwish's eight studio album since their formation in 1996 and contains some beautiful music including My Walden which is very Eurovision in style, and could honestly win if it were entered next Saturday!

Elan you can feel yourself flying low over the tundra in northern Finland in summer as we get the first melt of the year. After all the soft peaceful music, Nightwish do put in a bit of heavy metal, but maintaining the symphonic element in songs like Yours Is An Empty Hope but for the most part they stick to the style which I like, including my favourite song on the album, Edema Ruh. This chorus of this song states "We are the Edema Ruh, we know the songs the sirens sang, Sea of stream, every tale true, Soon as we leave with you, we'll take you home"

There is one VERY long song on this album of only 11 songs; the near 24 minute epic The Greatest Show on Earth which is basically an opera all of its own!

The other songs on the album include the title track Endless Forms Most Beautiful and:
  • Alpenglow
  • The Eyes of Sharbat Gula
  • Shudder Before the Beautiful
  • Weak Fantasy
  • Our Decades in the Sun

Cost and where to get it

Amazon is currently selling the album for £9.99 including a free MP3 copy, or you can buy special editions at their official stockist http://www.madsupply.com/

Would I recommend the album?

Yes, it's very catchy and surprisingly peaceful. I'm definitely going to put this in my car! I'd give it four stars.

• Secre published 28/08/2015
    Interesting!
  • hiker published 18/06/2015
    Interesting
  • AlexDa published 26/05/2015
    Interesting... not a band I had previously heard of :)