Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud

Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud

Review of "Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud"

published 29/03/2012 | screedsean
Member since : 14/01/2012
I am currently an engineering student at Cardiff University. Just really looking for extra pennies from the reviews that I write, though it also gives me something to do when bored sometimes. i also write on dooyoo under the same username
Pro Easy to use, covers most topics is a CD as well as a book.
Cons cannot think of any
Type of Book
Quality of Text
Interesting/Absorbing?
Logical Layout?

"The best maths book I have come across."

If you're doing any form of Maths, Physics or Engineering in your degree then I highly recommend that you purchase this book! Maths comes into so many things and covers a very wide range of topics but for the basic things and a wide range of what you will study in your first few years at university this book has it well covered.

Unlike other books that I have looked at, this book does not assume that you have gained an A or A* at A-level Further mathematics or mathematics. Therefore the first half of the book is concerned with the so called 'foundation topics' which are great to help you brush up on your skills or even teach you these concepts if you haven't covered them already.

Throughout the book the topics are laid out in chapters with multiple frames inside each chapter for you to work through frame by frame. This way it is very clear to jump to specific points in the book and it is very easy to follow examples through the frames. The layout of the book is also helped by these frames as it keeps everything enclosed, separate and tidy which makes me wonder why I have never seen this idea of frames being used anywhere else.

At the start of each chapter there are quizzes for you to assess your knowledge on that chapter, before or after you complete it which is great to see if you have truly understood what the book is trying to get across to you. At the end of the chapter there are also 'self-check boxes' and more quizzes so that you can easily gauge how much you know and if you're ready for that dreaded exam.

The second part of the book is where the main degree level mathematics comes into play. This takes the same layout which makes learning just a little bit easier. All of the topics are covered in depth and there are plenty of worked examples which I find particularly useful to relate to when you cannot grasp how to go about a certain question.

Another great feature of this book and the real reason why I bought it and didn't rent it from my university library is that it comes with a CD in the front cover. On this CD there are all the topics covered in the book, so that you can learn in more depth about them, and if you are travelling you can just take the CD with you instead of a VERY heavy and bulky book indeed. On the Cd there are literally hundreds of extra questions on all the topics which you can answer and check on screen, with hints and tips available if you are having trouble. It even has the relevant working if you're getting really stuck. If this CD isn't enough though there are yet more questions available on their companion's website that you can work through and check.

I am coming to the end of my first year now on a MEng course in Mechanical Engineering. The course has had a lot of mathematics involved and as I did not take Further mathematics to A2 level I have found this book extremely helpful and it has almost become a bible for some of my friends. Talking to some second and third years on similar courses the feeling of love towards this book is shared as it is still relevant to everything covered in lectures and it has been recommended to me now by many pupils and staff alike. I can honestly say that this book is one of the best purchases that I have ever made and without it I certainly wouldn't be on an 80% average for my Mathematics module so far. Make sure you purchase the sixth edition of this bool though as this is the best available apparently. At around £33 it is a steal if it helps you with your degree even in the slightest. Don't think about getting it, just get one!

Product Information : Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud