English Springer Spaniel

English Springer Spaniel

Review of "English Springer Spaniel"

published 02/04/2012 | Rosebudwithredroses
Member since : 24/07/2005
Pro Companionship
Cons Walking in all weathers

"Meet Bailey - One Very Spolit Spaniel - addicted to ambulances"

English Springer Spaniel - My Bailey

English Springer Spaniel - My Bailey

Springer Spaniels

I have been brought up with Spaniels my whole life, we have had 2 x cocker spaniels, 1 x golden cocker, and 3 Springer Spaniels, our Spaniel now is a lovely Black and White Springer called Bailey, he'll be 3 this year.

=Loving=
I have always found the Springer Spaniel to be a loving breed, great with children, our dog that we lost 3 years ago Whisky,he was 8 years old when my daughter was born and the bond between them was unbelievable, they were inseperable from day 1, and it was like having her own personal bodyguard.

=Age Span=
An age span of a Spaniel is 8 to 13 years old, the youngest we have lost a Springer is 6 years old, as unfortunately he got poisoned, and Whisky he was 14 years old.

=Weight range=
An ideal weight for a Spaniel is around 25kg

=Sniffer Dogs=
Spaniels are used as sniffer dogs due to their sense of smell, it is 1000 times that of a human being.

=Exercise=
Spaniels are a dog that need lots of exercise, Bailey has 3 walks a day, morning, he's out for about 3/4 hr, luchtime 3/4hr and an evening 1 hr, but he never be tired out, he has his mad half hours where he flies around the front room like a mad man.

=Toys=
I find that Bailey like our other Spaniels have all had their favourite toys, Baileys, is a yellow donut, but if you give him a soft toy he will chew it.

=Working Dogs / Field Trails / Gun Dogs=
Spaniels are working dogs, and although ours is a pet, his dad is a working dog, and his mum was a show dog, he is pedigree dog, but we don't show him.

=His Fetish for ambulances=
How, why, I have no idea, whether it was because as a pup we use to carry him around in our arms when we went for a walk so he would get use to noise and people. One of the routes we go for a walk we past the local ambulance station, and if he sees an ambulance, but it must have the blue lights and the sirens going, he stops exactly where he is, and twists his head in the direction of the ambulance and will not move until its gone.

=Temperament=
We are lucky as he has a friendly temperament, although he thnks that everyone should make a fuss of him, he loves children. Other dogs he is not 100% comfortable with as he nearly got attacked as a pup and it frightened him.

=Sleep=
He snores for England, when were away in a Travelodge, never sure which one of them is snoring, and its the dog.

=Food=
We don't feed him till the evening, he has half a tin of buthers food, which he loves and some biscuits, I appricate that we all feed dogs at different times, this was on advice from the vets.

=Problems=
I know this may sound awful, but certain breeds have possible health problems, and with Spaniels, they are prone to probelms with their end going, in terms of bones, and it can disable them. We lost Whisky that way, and it was heart breaking.

=Pet Insurance=
We pay £43 a month for pet insurance, its not the cheapest of polices, but for us it has additional benefits, as some policies, they will only pay out for the illness once or a set amount of money for the illness, whereas ours is unlimited.

Touch wood we have never had to make a claim for Bailey and I hope we don't.

=Vets=
Bailey has his yearly booster, then he has worm tablets and flealine from the vets, and he also has Cod liver oil, evening primrose, garic, and a vetzeme.

=Would I be without him=
Simply no, Bailey is a big part of the family and we love him to bits.

=Dogs are for life=
The thing I would say to any dog owner, is there for life, there not just for Christmas, and yes they are a bind, for holidays and days out, things need to be planned, but the joy that Bailey has brought to our family, I can not thank him enough.

=Thank you for reading, - its some info but also an insight into Bailey=

• gingelou published 04/04/2012
    Bailey is gorgeous! I have a Cavalier KC spaniel :)
  • brittle1906 published 02/04/2012
    Bailey sounds adorable xx
  • AnneLorraine1 published 02/04/2012
    Hi Bailey! x

offers "English Springer Spaniel"

Product Information : English Springer Spaniel