Escape From Monkey Island (Mac)

Escape From Monkey Island (Mac)

Genre: Action/Adventure - Publisher: Aspyr Media

Review of "Escape From Monkey Island (Mac)"

published 15/05/2009 | DooYou
Member since : 14/05/2009
Pro Fantastic 3D graphics, brilliant characters
Cons None
Gameplay/Playability
Graphics
Sound
Difficulty & Complexity

"They should never stop making these"

I have to say, when I heard they were creating another Monkey Island game I became so excited. Having played and completed all of the Monkey Island games (3 in total, not including this one) I can safely say it is my favourite series of all time. I guess I find it so addictive because of its originality. The series first started on the lovely Amiga (so you can see the time length the games have been stretched over and how successful they must have been) and it was a huge hit so the sequel quickly followed (Monkey Island 2: LeChucks Revenge).

Now we are on the fourth in the series and the graphics have been converted into 3D. The game still includes the old favourite characters (plus a few new ones) such as Stan, Elaine, The Voodoo Lady and more. The great thing is that if you have played the other Monkey Island games then you feel right at home with these characters, almost as if you've known them for years. The controls are easy to master but the puzzles are still as difficult and weird as ever.

The whole game is basically about Guybrush going on his little adventures and quests (and boy does he have a lot of quests in this game). The main quest is to find the secret of the ultimate insult, the insult that can turn fearless pirates into squaking chickens. This follow up to the Curse of Monkey Island is much more difficult than any of its predecessors. I would say that it will take you over 30 hours to complete without using a solution (talk about a big game, huh?).

The character of Guybrush looks about 15 years old and is still as funny and as stupid as ever, oh and is still totally manipulated by his wife Elaine, hehe. Each character has his own distinct personality and voice
(like the other Monkey Island games) and each contributes towards the overall excitement of the game. The great thing about the Monkey Island games (and what makes them so successful in my opinion) is that they have kept the same characters throughout but each time making them more interesting and bizarre.

Believe me, if you are a fan of adventure games and love a little comedy too then why aren't you out buying this game right now?!

• morticiaaddams published 15/05/2009
    A classic.. I loved watching my brother play it.
  • thereddragon published 15/05/2009
    This game was OK but not a patch on the previous three, I guess mainly because most of the original creators had left and were no longer involved. It was still made good by the voice acting of Dominic Armato, but I found it jarring that Elaine suddenly had an American accent and completely different voice to her English-accented voice in the previous game!