Essential Nancy Sinatra, The - Nancy Sinatra

Essential Nancy Sinatra, The - Nancy Sinatra

1 CD(s) - Easy Listening - Label: Liberty - Distributor: EMI Operations/CEVA Logistics - Released: 13/03/2006 - 94635623321

Review of "Essential Nancy Sinatra, The - Nancy Sinatra"

published 06/01/2010 | livelylad
Member since : 24/10/2009
Time to start reviewing again.
Pro Some classic songs. Bang Bang!! These Boots are made for Walking.
Cons quite repetative. Too many songs on the album
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Is it Essential? - Nancy Sinatra"

Nancy Sinatra

Nancy Sinatra

Firstly this is not my album!!! I bought it for my wife so therefore I have been subjected to listening to it!

Introduction

Well, firstly I guess you all know who her dad is so you would hope that she has inherited his talent for singing. Well hopefully after this review you will have an idea The album is the remastered version.This album is very generous having 26-song on.
Singing/Song Style and Writing Infulences

She sings in a very sixties style, which is quite obvious as she was around then. She has a good vocal range and is easily able to deliver an up tempo or ballad song. Her singing style is a lot like Dusty Springfield and Petula Clark.

Album Cover

The album cover looks very good. Its 6 pages and contains all as you would expect all the tracks. It also contains her personnel thoughts on each track which is a nice touch.

There are 6 colour photographs of Nancy, and i must say she look fantastic. If only I were 30 years OLDER!!

Track List

8. Flowers In The Rain
9. In Our Time
10. Drummer Man - Sinatra, Nancy & Hal Blaine
11. Lady Bird - Sinatra, Nancy & Lee Hazelwood
12. I Love Them All (The Boys In The Band)
13. These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
14. How Does That Grab You Darlin'
15. Friday's Child
21. God Knows I Love You
22. Here We Go Again
23. 100 Years
24. Let Me Kiss You - Sinatra, Nancy & Morrissey
25. Machine Gun Kelly (previously unreleased)
26. Shot You Down - Audio Bullys & Nancy Sinatra

Personal Opinion on Each Track

1. Bang Bang - Sinatra, Nancy & Billy Strange ** This is a great song and one of the few that she is famous for. This is a song with a haunting melody. A great song. 10/10

2. Sugar Town ** This song is a homage to LSD, Nancy states that she does not like performing this song for that reason. Personally it a happy catchy song. I can see why people like the song. And to be honest until I just told you, you would probably have never guessed what it was about. 7/10

3. Somethin' Stupid - Sinatra, Nancy & Frank ** A great song, this has been covered by so many artists. Its a classic duet ballad featuring the great man himself. 8/10

4. Highway Song ** I am unsure about this song. I think it could grow on me. Nice lyrics and musical arrangement. Just does not quite grab me yet.7/10

5. Kind Of A Woman ** A great song, very good lyrics. Drum and bass guitar led. One that once you hear the initial beat you will recognise. 8/10

6. Love Eyes ** Drum led song, good strong vocal and backing singers. A steady ballad, not a bad song but could be quite taxing after hearing it a couple of times. 7/10

7. Did You Ever - Sinatra, Nancy & Lee Hazelwood ** Again, another song you will recognise once you here the introduction. A good song, reportedly about aldultery. Great duet with Lee Hazelwood. 9/10

8. Flowers In The Rain ** A happy quick song, and again one that you will know once the introduction kicks in. A good song. 8/10

9. In Our Time ** Guitar,string leadwith a heavy drum beat. Again good lyrics but rather repetitive. Not a great song. 6/10

10. Drummer Man - Sinatra, Nancy & Hal Blaine ** As you would expect a song heavy on the drums. More up tempo and rock type song. Its a good song and one that will stick in your mind. 8/10

11. Lady Bird - Sinatra, Nancy & Lee Hazelwood ** An orchestral introduction, but again sound a lot like the other songs on the album. A bit of a dour song to be honest. 6/10

12. I Love Them All (The Boys In The Band) ** Sounds like a Beatles song to me! Lots os brass and percussion in this track. Its not to bad. 7/10

13. These Boots Are Made For Walkin' ** I dont think I need to elaborate... A song that I guess everyone knows. Possibly her most famous song. Brilliant. 10/10

14. How Does That Grab You Darlin' ** Great song, the intro sound just like these boots are made for walking. The entire song is very similar. Its a great song that you will definitely get up and dance to! 8/10

15. Friday's Child ** A song heavy on the drums. A slow sad song delivered with a lot of emotion. A great song that shows of the range of her voice. 8/10

16. Jackson - Sinatra, Nancy & Lee Hazelwood ** Harmonica led, sounds like a country song. Not a great song but its catchy! 7/10

17. You Only Live Twice ** Bond theme, I am sure you are all aware of this track. A brilliant song. 9/10

18. Hook And Ladder - Sinatra, Nancy & Ry Cooder ** String led introduction to the song. A softly sung song, not really my cup of tea, again sounds like a country song. 6/10

19. Some Velvet Morning - Sinatra, Nancy & Lee Hazelwood ** A beautiful introuction. Another duet for Nancy, a good ballad type song. Quiter a dramtic song. 8/10

20. So Long Babe ** A more up tempo song, a typical 60's sound. Sounds like downtown. Another love song but still worth a listen to. 7/10

21. God Knows I Love You ** A love song, its not a great song and the lyrics are a bit wet to be honest. 6/10

22. Here We Go Again ** Not a bad sond, good musical arrangement and lyrics but not really for me. 6/10

23. 100 Years ** Pianon led introduction, not a great song goes from ballad to high tempo throughout the sond. Not one of her better songs. 6/10

24. Let Me Kiss You - Sinatra, Nancy & Morrissey ** A duet with Morriissey which to be honest is'nt to bad. Its more up tempo and hevy on the drums and guitar. Not a bad song. 7/10

25. Machine Gun Kelly (previously unreleased) ** A dont really like this song. It just doeas nothing for me. I can see why it was unreleased.

26. Shot You Down - Audio Bullys & Nancy Sinatra ** The remixed dance version, which gave her a number 1 in teh dance charts. A great version.

Album Information

Number of CDs: 1
Recording type: Studio
Distributor: EMI Operations/CEVA Logistics
Recording mode: Stereo

Summary

Overall the album has a 60's feel. Its an average to good album with lots of songs you will know even though from looking at the track title you may not think you know it.

She sounds alot like Dusty Springfield and Petula Clark and the whole album has a very miniskirt feel to it by that I mean, at first sight/listen its enticing. But by the time you get halfway through the album, it feels like you have seen/heard them all before.

The songs unfortunately feel very repetative. Some of the songs are great and are sure to get you dancing , even singing. The album could do having 10 songs fewer. This would make it less taxing once you have got to track 16. The only saving grace once you get to the end is the remixed version of Shot you down. The light at the end of the tunnel!

Overall I would recommend this album.

• paulpry118 published 08/01/2010
    It's a while since I have listened to her
  • plod591 published 08/01/2010
    Quite a few tracks I am well aware of on this album, the 60's being my formative years of music. Nice and simple track ratings style which I like.
  • mumsymary published 08/01/2010