Essex University

Essex University

Review of "Essex University"

published 09/08/2011 | Kittiqween
Member since : 09/08/2011
Good
Pro Safe, Quiet, Friendly People
Cons It can be too quiet, boderline boring at times
IT Facilities
Libraries
Societies/Clubs
Sporting Facilities
Student Union

"University of Essex... As I see it"

Why I chose Essex:
I chose the University of Essex over any other university because I was attracted to the small town(coming from a small town myself); Essex is said to be one of the safest places in England; and of course and most importantly, the reputation that the University had in my course of interest.

The University:
Ok... so... the buildings aren't the most beautiful but the campus itself, I absolutely love. It's fairly small, depending on what you're used to I guess, green, with nice lakes. You might get lost trying to find certain rooms, but... that could actually be kinda fun :)
There are quite a few computer labs scattered about the campus that are opened 24/7 (I think)... I've never had to go there at 3 in the morning.

The People:
You will come into contact with many different people, from many different countries, from all walks of life, which I think is one of the + for this University. I shared a flat with people from Saudi Arabia, Iraq, India, France, Italy, Mexico, and Taiwan.. can you get any more diverse than that? It was amazing learning about different cultures and eating their national dishes... yum.

The locals are very friendly, so are the staff and students. It's quite a lovely atmosphere.

Nightlife:

I may not be the best person to discuss this as I am not the partying/clubbing type but I will try my best. The campus has a few clubs that seems to be always popping, with lots of different fun themes on different nights etc. They also host some very popular DJs and the clubs appear to be very popular with the undergraduates. If you don't want to stay on campus, there are a few clubs in town that you can choose from as well. Don't get me wrong, it's not like London or anything, but I think you'd be able to enjoy the nightlife with the right set of people.

Accommodation:

I lived in the Houses which was great as the rooms are en-suite. I had an amazing set of flatmates and it's really quiet which helps if you prefer to study in your room as opposed to the library. When I walked into my room, I thought it was a decent size for being campus accommodation, but when I saw my friends' rooms at South Courts and the Quays, I realized just how incredibly tiny my room was in comparison.
The Towers are said to be the most fun place to live. I wouldn't know, but I did attend a couple parties over there which were pretty cool.

Would I recommend Essex?:

Definitely!

• torr published 09/08/2011
    Welcome to Ciao. I just about feel justified in rating this VH as an engaging and well-presented first review, but really you should tell us more about the academic side of the university: what courses are available, for which it has a good reputation, how good you think the teaching is, etc.
  • IzzyInTheHouse published 09/08/2011
    What are the lessons like?

Product Information : Essex University