Eurostar

Frequency of trains
Reliability of trains
Speed of trains
Safety of trains
How extensive is their Rail Network?

"Eurostar provides extremely poor service"

We booked in advance on Standard Premier - which advertised two main advantages to justify the triple in price. They offer a hot meal and comfortable tilt back seating. We arrived an hour early to make sure we got our tickets and that all four of us were seated together as we were traveling with my wife's parents who are age 70.

On arrival I was told that the train was overbooked and we could only be offered fold down seats. These seats were not even in the cabins, but rather in the passage between train cars. There was only one per car so we would be separated into four different areas. We paid over $350 USD per ticket to be told we would be in a tiny fold down seat in the passageways. I was irate!

After talking to two Eurostar representatives and one supervisor who didn't seem to have a single ounce of human compassion, we were able to be booked onto a train two and a half hours later than the one we had paid over $1,400 to be on. At this time we thought our Eurostar nightmare was over. Far from that.

Once we boarded and got situated into our seats, the staff came by about 45 minutes into the ride and offered us a bag of chips. I politely refused and said we would wait for the meal - at which time we were told no meal was to be offered on this particular day. The server implied that on certain days meals were not offered. We once again had to go through two Eurostar employees who had absolutely no care that it was now after 12:00 noon, and because of their companies incompetence we had been all day with out a meal and were now facing another hour and a half plus travel time without a meal.

Finally we got the on board manager who told us that the refrigerators had broken down which was why we would not be offered the meals that we had paid for. However, we did find out that food was available in their pay dining cart. Somehow that food managed to escape the carnage of the broken refrigerators.

Once we finally arrived in Paris, now two and one half hours later than the tickets we had faithfully paid in advance for, the customer service there basically told us to go to hell. The manager told my wife that we were basically screwed because he was the manager and was not going to do anything to make this right. The only recourse we had was to file a grievance online. Not a single care to make things right during the holiday we were on.

We were lucky to have the means to make up for the financial difficulties they caused us. Because they delayed us by two and a half hours we were unable to pick up the travel vouchers we had paid for in advance and were stranded at the train station without a ride. So we were forced to drag our luggage over 8 blocks through a typical French riot to pay over $100 USD for a cab ride to our rental flat only about 3 miles away.

That evening after finally getting to our flat, we were able to get our first meal of the day at about 6 pm.

• torr published 29/07/2014
    Fair comment based on your experience, but I have to say that having travelled many times on Eurostar I've never encountered an equivalent problem.
  • ladyofflame published 29/07/2014
    Unacceptable especially for a premium/'luxury' service, and it was all their fault to which added bare faced lies. I agree with Bolllinger about writing to them/their HQ perhaps and asking for a refund and apology.
  • thedevilinme published 28/07/2014