Review of "Euthymol"

published 12/08/2004 | nomad
Member since : 26/07/2000
Pro thoroughly cleansed teeth, gums and mouth
Cons slightly expensive(!?)
Taste
Improvement on Teeth Condition

"Go for the Burn"

euthymol

euthymol

Attracts the arty amoung us, or those who are daring to be different:

"original" Euthymol toothpaste
A Scientific Dental Preparation

Basic facts:

Sold in a art nouveau-style box in red, green and white. Old fashioned looking, but reassuringly natural and looks like good quality. It's apink paste inside metal tube; smells herbally medicinal: cloves, aniseed and perhaps a drop of eucalyptus oil? May stain clothing though, so beware.

The ingredients don't list any herbal oils, just "aroma" which could be from anything I suppose. oh, and contains saccharin

made by pfizer (pharmacutical giant)
price around £1 for 75ml. usually over £1 though.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some of you may know about my conversion to flouride-free living (well as near as you can get, check your dental floss for it too), and I spent some time looking for flouride free toothpaste. There are cheaper ones than euthymol around (boots, esp on offer (bogof) I just tried searching the wellbeing site for their "smile" non-flouride and it isn't listed there. I hope they still sell it).

My tube lasted me quite a while, maybe a month or more, as the paste is easy to foam, but not too frothy and therefore you only need a small amount at a time. I had to experiment with the amouint of paste as the strong clove-like taste was a bit of a shock at first. Strange though it sounds, I actually began to like the almost burning sensation, it releases painkilling chemicals in your brain I reckon, and that feels GGGOoooOOOoood!! :).

My teeth certainly felt smooth and thoroughly clean after using. The taste is very invigorating and makes your gums tingle in a pleasant way (well it's an aquired taste, much like raw garlic!). It must increase the circulation of blood to the mouth and gums, which is a good thing, helping any healing that needs to take place and encouraging the oxygen rich blood to flood in, allowing renewal and general health in the area. I think this toothpaste may be popular with smokers as I believe my Dad used to use it in the 70s and 80s to get stains off his teeth

The box tells us that it is a blend of antiseptic ingredients and essential flavour oils, and warns/boasts of the unique strong taste. Because of the medicated element in this paste I believe them that it would be good for people with inflamed gums or bad breath.

I do believe that through lack of knowledge, and no easily available information, people tend to just follow the crowd, who are just in turn following instructions from authority figures. I don't know why dentists are still pushing flouride products in their surgeries. Most of us clean our teeth with pastes or gels that we see advertised somewhere and think nothing more about it. Believing, somehow, that the advertisers are doing what's best for us. (cah!); that things must be safe and good for us if they are allowed to be sold. Perhaps there is a slow, but definite shift away from that kind of thinking now. I hope so.

• Fruity_Tart published 13/08/2004
    Looks very 1940's, my dad used to use this one but I found the taste was too hot for me. Chris x
  • fuzzibear published 12/08/2004
    Not sure about the taste of this toothpaste, tbh
  • KRISPY13 published 12/08/2004
    My grandad used to use this toothpaste, I remember it had a really odd flavour and a very distinctive smell to it. I actually quite liked it myself, maybe I should go get some and bring back some childhood memories Ahhhh..Good review.....Krisp

offers "Euthymol"