Evergreen Boy - Steve Forbert

Evergreen Boy - Steve Forbert

Review of "Evergreen Boy - Steve Forbert"

published 17/12/2008 | hi_nicola
Member since : 23/01/2007
Pro It's short
Cons No action, no characterisation, dull, not remotely scary

"A Terrible Sequel"

Return to House on Haunted Hill was easily one of the worst horror movies I have seen in a long, long time. I am a big horror movie fan and watch pretty much everything that comes even vaguely under the genre. There is usually at least something redeeming I can say for a film, but really with this the best I can come up with is the fact that it was quite short and only just over 70 minutes. All of which is a real shame considering I enjoyed the original and was looking forward to seeing this.

With most of the movie, I wasn't entirely sure whether I was watching a horror or a comedy. The character of the doctor in particular was just amusing to me, you'll understand if you see it, all of his actions are fairly comedic to the extent that me and my friends would burst out laughing everytime he came onto screen - something that severely ruined the atmosphere, although to be fair, the movie didn't exactly build up a scary atmosphere to begin with! A major problem of this movie is there is no suspense or build up to things whatsoever. Things just happen, and that's the end of it. In many cases ghosts just randomly appear, kill the person (the deaths are fairly gory, I'll give you that, but they are also extremely short and with no build up), and then that's the end of it. In some cases the fact that a character has randomly disappeared is never actually mentioned or acknowledged by the other characters.

The characterisation is another problem with this movie. As in, there isn't any. I couldn't tell you the names of any of the characters, and I didn't care about them at all. The characters don't seem to have any discerncernable personality - there is one group of characters that are 'good', and one group of characters that are 'bad'. That's it. The characters are completely flat, you have no idea who's who, and I was often surprised when characters died purely because I'd forgotten that they ever existed in the first place. This whole movie basically felt like they'd had some ideas for deaths and randomly slotted them together because that's all there is to it.

I would actually recommend this movie as a somewhat gory comedy, because I did laugh out loud quite a few times during it although I don't honestly think I was supposed to. Everything about it was just so BAD. There was a complete lack of effort in the making of the film. Even the plot line is barely there. The plot basically involves two different groups of people that want a rare artifact that is in the house - yet fairly early on one of the groups are told exactly where the artifact is, and there is no hassle whatsoever in getting it. Characters know exactly what room to go, what chamber to pick, and it's all very straightforward. I thought that if they weren't going to put any effort into actually making the movie scary then they could at least put in some sort of adventure aspect, but no, it's extremely straight forward and very dull to watch.

Overall this is by far the worst movie I've seen in a long time which is a real shame as I liked the first one and there was so much more they could have done with it. The only reason I'd suggest watching this movie is if you want a laugh, but if you're watching a movie for a scare then avoid this one at all costs.

• redeyes22 published 17/12/2008
    great review aggy
  • kevin121 published 17/12/2008
    Thanks, I'll steer clear! Rachael.
  • dynamicnurse published 17/12/2008
    Great review, with lots of good stuff in it.

Product Information : Evergreen Boy - Steve Forbert

No one believed it when Sarah Wolfe claimed that ghosts were responsible for the gruesome massacre at Vanacutt Mansion. They should've heeded her warning – after all, she was the sole survivor of the ordeal. It's only after her suicide that her sister, Ariel, finally begins to take her claims seriously, and sets out to investigate the mysterious goings-on. What unspeakable evil lurks within the house on Haunted Hill?

Listed on Ciao since: 16/08/2007