Everybody Loves Raymond (Complete Boxset) (DVD)

Everybody Loves Raymond (Complete Boxset) (DVD)

Review of "Everybody Loves Raymond (Complete Boxset) (DVD)"

published 14/11/2016 | emjaynehill
Member since : 29/06/2015
18-year-old girl with a passion for writing. Trying to catch up on my ratings with all my free time. Thank you for understanding.
Pro Funny, emotional sometimes, engaging.
Cons Sometimes offensive, the humour is not for everybody, annoying laughing audience.
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Everybody Should Try 'Everybody Loves Raymond'"

Introduction

When I sold a bunch of Xbox games, I decided to get the boxset of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' - it was a bit pricey given that it's a full boxset (seasons 1 to 9) but I think it was worth every penny. I used to watch the show on TV as it plays around two or three episodes every morning on some channels - however, I've forgotten the names. Now that I've got the boxset, I've really had a chance to fall in love with Raymond and his crazy family.

Plot

'Everybody Loves Raymond' is a comedy TV show that ran from 1995 to 2005, based around a man called Raymond Barone - a sports writer who lives with his wife, daughter and twin boys. Also, adding to the family chaos, his parents, Marie and Frank, and his brother, Robert, live across the street; this wouldn't be so bad if his parents weren't strange, judgmental and over at the house every single day.

The show is based around a devoted husband who tackles the everyday struggle of being a husband and parent but also battles with extremely challenging parents and a jealous older brother. However, that's just the start of the comedy - these characters are extremely engaging and although they are all funny in their own ways, you can also get to know the stories of each character during the time of watching them and maybe even start feeling sympathy for the characters you didn't think you would. This is the comedic everyday struggle of Ray Barone's life.

Characters and Actors

Ray Barone (Ray Romano) - a successful sportswriter with a beautiful wife, a daughter and two twin boys. Although I'd say his dedication lays with sports more than anything!

Debra Barone (Patricia Heaton) - a housewife who grew up with fairly normal parents but now has to put up with her in-laws who are, in her eyes, very strange and crazy.

Robert Barone (Brad Garrett) - a very jealous older brother of Ray who never got half the attention he did and still seeks the approval of his parents on a day-to-day basis. He's probably the more ''normal'' character.

Marie Barone (Doris Roberts) - a very over-protective mother who would do anything for her boys. Passionate about food and cooking, not so passionate about her husband, Frank.

Frank Barone (Peter Boyle) - a very care-free man, dad and husband who only really cares about food and sports. As long as he has somewhere to watch the game and someone to make him something to eat, he's fine. But he tells it how it is and doesn't hide is feelings - except for those he has about his wife, who he loves and cares for deeply but won't admit it.

Other characters include Ally Barone (Madylin Sweeten) - Debra and Ray's oldest child, a beautiful and strong girl who is probably the most inspiring of the lot; Michael and Geoffrey Barone (Sawyer Sweeten, Sullivan Sweeten) - Debra and Ray's twin boys who are so adorable they make me emotional!

Advantages

I've shared more laughs with the cast of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' than most other shows. In particular, I seem to enjoy the late 90's shows more than the more current ones, which is probably why I enjoy this show so much. I finished the series so quickly because I binge-watched it and got obsessed, which would usually be an issue had I not had so much free time on a night to binge-watch TV shows.

I could watch the episodes over and over again, it feels like the humour never gets old, the jokes never get old. I feel as though I've developed a great love for these characters since I started watching the show, too. It's made me laugh, cry, gasp in shock... Every single possible emotion!

Disadvantages

There are only two disadvantages that I can think of:

* The audience laughing can get really annoying. They laugh so hard and for so long that there's a great pause in between lines. Sure, the show is funny, but it's annoying when a quarter of the episode is just laughing in the background and the actors trying to stay serious!

* It can be quite offensive - if you offend easily by stereotypes, maybe this programme isn't for you. It can be slightly sexist and some have found it homophobic and racist at times, but never seriously offensive, just things that you could get away with in 1995 that you wouldn't get away with on TV now! For example, Debra can't cook and is the one who does all the house work whilst Ray couldn't care less and sits in front of the TV more than looking after his kids, his wife or his house; I'd say it's more sexist and stereotypical towards men than women!
Ratings

7.1/10 - IMDb
8.6/10 - TV.com

The series finale managed to gather 32.94 million viewers.
Nine seasons of the show got them 12 Emmy awards.

What's Included in the Boxset?
Season One

• 22 episodes
  • Over one hour of bonus material
Season Two

Season Nine

• 4 discs
  • 16 episodes
  • Bloopers and deleted scenes

Each series has a different coloured cover for the DVD. I find this aesthetically pleasing because some one is bright yellow and another is dark blue and it just looks neat sitting on my bookshelf.
Other Important Information

Seasons 1, 2 and 3 are rated PG (parental guidance) - containing mild language and sexual references.

Seasons 4-9 are rated 12 - containing moderate sex references and innuendo.

The boxset is DVD video.

Where to Buy

I'd probably recommend going through the TV channel and recording it or setting a reminder to watch one episode to see how you feel about the show before buying the boxset as it can be considered pricey depending on your personal opinion. However, if you fall in love with the TV show as I did, here is where you can buy the boxset:

Zavvi.com - £38.99
eBay.com - £38.99

I bought it from the HMV in-store shop for £50, but if you Google search the boxset you can find a fairly reasonable price. They're probably less expensive on eBay that anywhere else.
In Conclusion

I know a lot of you will probably not give the show a chance, but I would highly recommend that you do. 'Everybody Loves Raymond' is a TV show that I have had the pleasure of enjoying for years and I will probably continue doing so for a long time.

Something that I'd like to include is a quick thank you to those who were in the show but now unfortunately have passed away: Peter, Doris and Sawyer (Frank, Marie and Geoffrey) - thank you for many years of pleasure watching you on TV, thank you for making me laugh, and I hope you can continue making people laugh for many, many more years...

• IzzyS published 12/01/2017