Review of "Everybody Wants Some (DVD)"

published 08/08/2017 | arwyn3
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"I don't want some, thank you!!"

Everybody Wants Some (DVD)

Everybody Wants Some (DVD)

+Everybody Wants Some+

This was a DVD was in a group that my daughter brought for us to watch before passing on to the local charity shop. Looking at the front cover, this didn’t really seem to be the sort of thing that we would normally watch but with such quotes as ‘Slaps a smile on your face that won’t quit’ on the back of the DVD cover, I thought I may as well give it a watch to take our mind of the miserable British summer weather!

+ Film Details +

• +Directed by Richard Linklater
• +Release date March 30, 2016
• +Running time 116 minutes
• +Starring Will Brittain, Zoey Deutch, Ryan Guzman, Tyler Hoechlin, Blake Jenner, Glen Powell and Wyatt Russell
• +Rotten Tomatoes approval rating of 87%
• +Classification: 15
+Story and my opinion+

The story in this film follows Jake (played by Blake Jenner), a first-year college student and baseball pitcher at the fictional South Texas State University; where he is a member of their baseball team.
It starts in 1980 (“Thursday August 6th, three days and 15 hours before class” in fact – as the caption on the screen tells us!) and we are shown life in the baseball players’ privileged frat house that Jake joins and begins his new life with the other boys on the team: Jay (played by Juston Street), Roper (played by Ryan Guzman), McReynolds (played by Tyler Hoechlin), Dale (played by J Quinton Johnson) and Beuter (played Will Brittain) – not forgetting the rather hippy-like guy who smokes a lot of dope, Willoughby (played by Wyatt Russell). The house that these teammates live in have only two ground rules - no alcohol and no girls upstairs – within minutes both of these rules are broken
The whole ‘story’ takes place during the weekend before the start of a new academic year at the Texas college: the point where the boy becomes the man – supposedly.
And basically, THAT is the story, not really any plot as such; however, there is a lot of action – in the form of drinking, parties, seducing, dope-smoking, mud-wrestling and even a game of naked Twister.
This film is so obviously 80’s based, I guess the director REALLY loved the 1980’s – the clothes, the hair, the music – everything is spot on, I half expected my daughter to walk in in her ‘Frankie Says’ T shirt.

There is some humour – albeit it typical US ‘dude’ type humour (think American Pie, Nation Lampoon etc), and sometimes I did laugh! But mainly I yawned – I have seen all this ‘coming of age’ stuff before. I guess I am just not the type of person (or more likely age of person) that this film was designed for.
The music wasn’t bad - if you like 80’s music – but it really did feel like the waste of around two hours for me – had I wanted to relive the 80’s and the music I could have re-watched an old VHS tape of the original Live Aid concert!
+Soundtrack+

• Classification: 15
• Studio: Entertainment One
• DVD Release Date: 19 Sept. 2016
Price

This film is free to watch on Amazon Prime or you can buy the DVD from £2.89 (used) and £4.94 (new) from Amazon, it is also available on Amazon Video for £2.49 (rented) or £5.99 (to buy).

Extras

• ‘More Stuff That’s Not in the Movie’ - 25 minutes of outtakes and behind the scenes footage.
• ‘Rickipedia’ is four minutes of the cast praising the director’s encyclopaedic knowledge of the era.
• ‘Baseball Players Can Dance’ is a seven-minute look at the dancing in the movie and how the actors were taught period-specific dance moves.
• ‘Skills Videos’ has the actors showing off their baseball skills for the audition process
• ‘History 101: Stylin’ the 80s’ a four-minute look at the hair and clothing used in the film
Subtitles

Subtitles/Captions
English, English SDH, French, Spanish

+Finally+

Unless you are REALLY into the 80’s and haven’t got anything worth doing for the next two hours – I really would give this film a miss!
It is already in the charity shop!!

• MsTricia published 15/08/2017
    excellent write up x
  • jo-1976 published 15/08/2017
    The soundtrack sounds better than the film itself!
  • stacie17 published 14/08/2017