Home > Ciao Café > Everything from A-Z > Everything that starts with L ... > Reviews

mirrah 5

mirrah

Member since:30.07.2000

Painfully In Labour

15.11.2005

Advantages:
Try to do the best for the whole country/no class distinctions

Disadvantages:
The Unions no longer seem important to The Labour Party

3 Ciao members have rated this review on average: helpful See ratings
  1. muttleythefrog
  1. eldergill
  2. pinkmatchstick
  3. helencbradshaw

Painfully in Labour.

No I'm not talking about childbirth, but there is a paralell here.

Is Tony Blair finished?

Will we see Gordon Brown as the Labour Party Leader and dare we say it, the new Prime Minister?

The latest news reports say that Tony is considering pulling our troops out of Iraq in about a years time.

Do you believe him? Would you vote Labour again if he did pull our troops out in a years time.

Do you think he made a big mistake with the 90 day questioning of terrorist suspects or do you think that we should have the full 90 days for the safety of the British Public?

I don't think Tony Blair is finished, but I do think that he has taken a severe political battering. He would of course be proved right if we had another terrorist bombing attack. This would make the other political parties opposed to the 90 days questioning of terrorist suspects, look really, really stupid and unaware of what was really going on in the worl of terrorists these days.

It would be nice if our troops could come home in about a years time as I think we've been in Iraq for long enough, let the USA linger on if it wants, it has more troops stationed there than we do anyway. Our brave boys deserve a hero' welcome whether you belive we went into Iraqu for the wrong reasons or not, they are still our brave troops and deserve our respect for doing their jobs.

When Tony Blair does eventually depart from being leader of the Labour Party and leaves the position of Prime Minister, I think that Gordon Brown would make an excellent P.M. and I can't really see anyone else in the Labour Party at the moment who would live up to the challenge.

Labour has made mistakes, but tries hard to rectify these. They have stabilised the economy and created jobs and introduced the minimum wage. Yes they are having difficulties with the Tax Credits and yes they are having difficulties with the CSA, but they are trying to give the British Public a better standard of living. Years ago we didn't have these tax breaks or the minimum wage. I don't think the Tories would have introduced these.

I think the next political buffing will come from our association with the USA. If George W Bush decided to pick on Iran or to get involved with the arguments that Israel should be wiped off the map, ( I don't think it should, but lets face it, Israel is in such a state at the moment that it's doing a pretty good job of destroying itself). Britain should not be seen to be involved with either of these issues, other than to state that there should be caution and that we would not support either action.
The British are not George W Bush's and the USA's lap dogs.

Write your own review Report a problem with this review’s content

pinkmatchstick 15.11.2005 16:20

God help us if Gordon (tax it till it bleeds) Brown becomes PM.....Everything Tony does is planned so he looks right on telly or on the radio, it's all image with that man....Tony seems to think he is some kind of world statesman and has put our troops into action more times than any PM since WW2. New Labour is more Tory than the Tories ever were, the working class are being bound and gagged again to suit his mates in big business who put him where he is today.

muttleythefrog 15.11.2005 02:17

*2 "Our brave boys deserve a hero' welcome whether you belive we went into Iraqu for the wrong reasons or not, they are still our brave troops and deserve our respect for doing their jobs." - I disagree, I think British soldiers have acted in contravention with international law in invading Iraq and many have committed crimes against the Iraqi people since. "Yes at the moment it may seem to many that we are painfully in Labour, but as far as I can tell it's a lot less painfull than the alternatives." - the alternatives are little different if we're talking mainstream politics... we need a change to PR elections so that people like me can cast a vote for a party that takes the future seriously. Tony Blair is a religious bedfellow of George W Bush and they seem to think that talking a good game gets results... their delivery on the environmental issues that will eliminate this species some time after they have left office is not being taken at all seriously. Tony Blair is a weak leader, getting weaker, and he couldn't even walk through the commons to vote on restricting hunting with hounds despite it being his own party's pledge. Is this labour party a better alternative to the Tory party, well it surely is and the next Tory leader is hardly going to appeal to your ordinary labour voters..lol. The best policy of this government probably was to implement, against much resistance, the minimum wage. Well done, Pete

muttleythefrog 15.11.2005 02:17

*1 Chuckle... you're going to get quite a mix of responses from this review but I felt it was a good one. I'm not a member of any political party although I have advised the labour party when in opposition, and I spoiled my ballot paper at the last General election(thought I should say that). So I should be able to look with fairly neutral eye and I'll pick up on a couple of points. "He would of course be proved right if we had another terrorist bombing attack. This would make the other political parties opposed to the 90 days questioning of terrorist suspects, look really, really stupid and unaware of what was really going on in the worl of terrorists these days." - oh there's a real problem with this unless the actual terrorists were held for investigation and released after 28 days prior to carrying out an action. Incidentally, had it not been for approx 50 labour MPs rebelling against whip then this policy would have been approved by the commons. I can speak with some authority on the issue of terrorism and my judgement is that holding people for up to 90 days will be more likely to encourage attacks against the state than prevent them... and it would be a serious threat to ordinary civilians to face possible 3 months detention without charge or trial (probably the sort of law Osama bin Laden would pass if he was governing Britain).