Home > Ciao Café > Everything from A-Z > Everything that starts with O ... > Reviews

DeniseKel... 5

DeniseKelly40

About me: My wee girl is over 2 now how time flies! Just found out that I am expecting again so hopefully get more reviews on the way for my baby fund. Will re-rate anyone who rates me if I miss you drop me a message. x

Member since:26.04.2006

A Miracle Every Minute!

28.02.2011

Advantages:
find out what childbirth is like

Disadvantages:
find out what childbirth is like

36 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. supercityfan
  2. Soho_Black
  3. carcraig

One Born Every Minute

Since getting pregnant with my daughter I noticed this programme on channel 4 however it was my first baby and I was petrified to watch it. So I turned it over any night I seen that it was on.

Now my daughter is 9 months old and as I have went through the experience myself I thought I would watch this program as I had heard so many people talking about it.

It follows a few people in an episode and they are in labour and you actually see them give birth. It shows you what people are like in real labour (not the soap's version where you hear lots of screaming, puffing and panting!) Instead you see normal everyday people going through labour from the start until they have their tiny little bundle of joy in their arms.

I have to say since I have had my daughter and it all was a big blur (as I am sure most people would agree). You don't really notice what is going on around you and I had an epidural so I wasn't doped out of it on medication like can happen often. So I became curious to watch it as I could relate to these woman having their babies.

Each week you see the woman when they first go into labour and you see that it's not as frightening as everyone makes it out to be. In fact the first stages of labour many of the woman are very calm, cool and collected. With every woman that I have seen on the show it has been their first baby and it just shows you how different people react differently in situations.

It shows you how everyone is different some woman deliver their baby with very little noise and others are screaming the house down. I am not saying what's best as to be honest when you are in that situation anything goes!

What I like about this programme is that people can see the different ways you can deliver your baby and the options you can hopefully have like a water birth (providing you have no complications). I had complications during my pregnancy and labour so I didn't get to see these other options however it's good to see first hand someone else's experience of a water birth for example.

It's lovely to see the journey someone has from the moment they go into labour until they are holding their baby in their hands. I think that this show is informative and lets people know its not as scary as they may think.

A lot of people may be put off by this show as it can be quite graphic however it is never in a distasteful way. I have never seen nudity or anything I would feel was inappropriate however I do not feel that children should be watching this show.

The mothers also are answering questions about their baby and the whole experience. I feel that this is important as you hear their hopes and aspirations before and what they think after in what I assume is a couple of months down the line.

I feel that this programme shows people from all walks of life and in different situations which I feel is fantastic as it's more realistic and everyone then can identify with the people they are watching.

The programme shows just how vulnerable woman are when they are in labour or even pregnant for that matter. You get to see their cute baby at the end which is just fantastic there is something magical about seeing a newborn baby.

You hear the people talking and debating on what form of pain relief they can use and the things that they are advised to do during labour. The midwife's often explain in an interview what some of the technical things mean and what different situations mean to the mother to be that is in labour.

The hospital looks very clean and the whole atmosphere in the rooms where the woman give birth in seem cool and calm. Quite often the men are pacing up and down not knowing what to say or do. To be honest most of the time they are annoying their partners but I think in this situation there isn't anything they can do apart from support.
I noticed in the programme that other family members where allowed in the labour ward when I gave birth this wasn't allowed only the two people I had specified could enter the room I was in labour in and they were very strict on this. Sometimes they have three or four people in with them I was shocked at this.

Its nice to see the men's point of view on the whole experience and everyone else who is going to meet the baby too. Plus it's interesting to see what the midwives think of their job. In this hopsital the midwives seem very dedicated, patience and understanding. You can see just how stressful their job is to do.

I think that this is a educational programme that is useful to woman to watch and also I have to admit I find it quite addictive to watch now I have started watching it. I think its because I kind of can relate and re-live the day I met my daughter in some ways.

Write your own review Report a problem with this review’s content

MrBrightside1987 18.03.2011 17:16

Lovely review =]

jo-1976 01.03.2011 00:04

I loved watching the first series when I was pregnant. Not so keen now my baby making is over! It is a lovely programme though x

tac20 28.02.2011 20:55