Evesham Technology

Evesham Technology

Computers & Electronics

Review of "Evesham Technology"

published 17/05/2001 | A.c.B
Member since : 17/05/2001
Satisfactory
Pro Wide variety of products*, helpfull engineers
Cons Wide variety of products*, bad refund strategy

"Not Impressed"

I bought a PC from Evesham in February of this year, intending for it to be available for my girlfriend to write essays and do coursework on in the run ups to her final year exams. After reading all the reviews i could find (computer shopper, PC shopper, etc, and this site), i was resonably confident of the quality of their machines. Thier website was very usefull, and we purchased a slightly modified Axis series PC (more RAM, a bigger Screen, etc) from their Evesham vale showroom. All good up until this point.

Unfortunately, it took about 3 hours after we set the thing up before problems arose. The PC locked up completely. We called an engineer, who deduced that they had shipped the PC to us without a processor fan (and they say the machines are tested fully before shipment!?!), and it was only the main fan which stopped the machine dying permanently (the processor, an Athlon 1Ghz, melts in a little under 6 seconds with no fan, we were told). So he duly returned and fixed in a new fan and replaced the processor. A little more noise, but ok. We thought.
A few days later, the machine died again. The next engineer came out and deduced that the previous overheating processor had damaged the RAM, the motherboard and screwed up the file allocation tables (? - not being au fait with IT skills, this meant nothing to me). So, when a new engineer came out, he replaced all the faulty bits and assured us that it would all be ok. We thought.

The computer continued along its unfortunate course by crashing every few days. It refused to run some applications (due to incompatibe drivers, i found out from looking on the web), and refused to load others. We tried each several times, giving the machine the benefit of the doubt, until we had had enough. We phoned evesham, who gave us a replacement machine (only after some complaining, though).

This replacement machine proved to act almost like a carbon copy of the previous one. Unexplained crashes, lack of this, that and the other files, drastic loss of high end performance. Then one day (thankfully after my partners exams had finished!) it came back with a BIOS error and refused to do anything. We phoned Evesham, seeking a refund.
They took the machine back saying the tech support team would have to check the error before giving us a refund. After a week, we were told that they would not give us a refund, but could give us a new machine. My hopes are not high.

Evesham were excellent with the selection and purchase of the machine. Thier prices were very fair and the staff very friendly and helpfull. Their engineers were very quick to respond and examine, but in hindsight, it seems that they could have spotted some of the problems before. They did thier best to explain the problems in language i could understand.

I am left with the feeling that thier after sales service leaves A LOT to be desired, and the thought that the wide variety of parts on offer in the customise section may lead to mismatches and incompatibility problems that catch the unlucky out. Evesham say that they have very few problems with malfunctioning machines. It seems that they aren't really very good at dealing with the customers of machines that do become faulty. From the other reviews it seems that thier machines are very reliable, but if something goes wrong, expect an uphill struggle.

• cdtech published 14/04/2002
    Sorry to hear of your experience, I'm on my second Evesham computer and have nothing but praise for their after sales service, did have a gripe with my latest computer but that was sorted out within two days
  • Pauley123 published 20/10/2001
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Evesham. I've had one of their PC's for about 5 months now, and though it hasn't all been plain sailing, I've been broadly satisfied with the whole experience. I'm currently writing an op which will cover this in more detail. Good detailed op tho! Pauley
  • MikeWhalley published 18/05/2001
    Hi and welcome to Ciao! A well detailed op! After sales service is really bad for PCs with a lot of the big companies. They are happy or entice you into buying the PC and offer you a 'reasonable' price with maybe intrest free credit - but done of this matters if you don't get something thats reliable! Good op, and hope you have more luck with PCs in the future! - Mike.