Exodus - Bob Marley

Exodus - Bob Marley

1 CD(s) - Reggae - Label: Island - Distributor: Universal Music - Released: 19/11/2001 - 731454889827

Review of "Exodus - Bob Marley"

published 19/07/2001 | fuddy
Member since : 19/07/2001
Pro Owning A Classic of 20th Century Music, Gives You The Lyrics to Exodus on the Sleeve, Should You Be Curious, There Has Never, To My Knoweldge Been a Reported Case of Murder Whilst This Album was Playing
Cons Friends May Become Terribly Jealous Of Your New-Found Superior Musical Taste, Britney Spears Will Still Probably Outsell it Somehow, Men and Women May End Up Finding you Irresistable Once They Hear this Album
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics
How does it compare to the artist's other releases

"Biblical Bob's Seminal Songs"

Welcome to this...my revie of the album voted by Time magazine "Album of the Century", I feel it my duty - nay my privilege - to properly review Exodus.

Natural Mystic, also the title of his second posthumous compilation album, deserves a lot more recognition than it receives. This is a haunting (and dare I say mystical?) tune, with its deep, slow bass, wailing guitar and Bob's voice gently pulling the track along. A true Marley classic in anyone's book and certainly a change from the norm for reggae in genereal.

So Much Things To Say returns us to a somewhat more conventional feel for Bob. A chirpy little number, outlining a few more political and religious beliefs of his and his Rastafari mates. Definitely a feel-good song suitable for any occasion. And be sure to check out Bob's baby-talk right at the end of the track - classic.

Guiltiness bring us back to the moodiness of Natural Mystic. As with most of his serious songs, though, the somewhat judgemental feel of the verses gives way to a sort of harmonic redemption in the chorus - a feeling of optimism and hope that Bob seemlessly incorporates into most of his songs. I can almost imagine some guy having slept with Bob's wife, breaking down into tears after hearing this track - ending up with both of them have a big hug, and perhaps a slightly larger spliff. Could just be me, mind.

The Heathen comes across as a sort of safety-blanket for believers. "Don't worry - those nasty sinners will be in trouble at the end of it all" is the message I get here. But, as always, Marley is preaching in a perfectly passive way - don't take up arms or violence in this world, for justice will be served at some point. You may not agree, but it's hard to say that the point isn't effectively put across.

Exodus, the title track (duh! I hear you say) is a clever little play on words. It refers to the movement of the Jews in the Bible book of the same name - and compares it to the then-popular view amongst Rastafaris that black people should move back to Africa to rediscover their roots (a movement headed by Marcus Garvey in Jamaica - whose name you will hear a lot in reggae music, especially that of Burning Spear). There is definitely a feeling of positive movement in this song - a thrusting bass line and an energetic vocal by Bob gives the song its metaphoric push. I know we've heard this song a lot - but there's a reason some songs are over-played, you know.

Jamming is without a doubt my favourite Bob Marley song... in the world... ever. I can't put my finger on why exactly. It's not political, it's not full of imagery, it's just a song that I can't help but love every single time I hear it. It also marks the end of the somewhat serious note taken by Bob on this album. He's made his point, now it's time to just relax, have a good time and dance till your feet turn blue. I can honestly say I have never heard a song about dancing that was this rich and vibrant. Amazing - listen to this song again and again and you're sure to go to heaven after you die - if God has any taste in music, that is.

Waiting In Vain might slow our heartbeats down a little, but it is yet another of Marley's classic love songs. A triumphant show of his diversity of styles within his chosen genre. Don't try and analyse what makes this song so beautiful, just deal with it, is my philosophy.

Turn Your Lights Down Low is a slow little song which comes across as almost a rock ballad. It's my least favourite on the album, but just like most of Marley's work, the worst song on the album is still well worth many a listen. Rich vocal harmonies definitely keep this song from turning into a soppy, handkerchief-sodden mess.

Three Little Birds - who, may I ask, has not heard this track? The prequel of sorts to Bobby McFerrin's vapid Don't Worry Be Happy, this carefree anthem is so full of happy imagery that it only needs one verse and one chorus to repeat again and again. The ultimate summer-feel song, the ultimate feel-good song, a joy to behear (so to speak/type).

One Love is another much-played classic. "Let's Get Together And Feel All Right": Has such simple understatement ever said so much? Not in my opinion. Brevity maybe wit, but it can also be beauty. Bob doesn't need a lot of words, nor does he need to sing them quickly - he just picks the right ones.

As much a poet as a musician, Bob Marley's genius and diversity is on full display on this album. I, personally, feel that this is, without a doubt, his greatest album in terms of consistency and talent. An album that you can stick on repeat all day and still hum along to. A true giant amongst any genre of music. No wonder the Legend compilation snuck so many tracks off of here - they're not daft that lot, you know.

• j088659 published 20/05/2007
    Good review.
  • ISmokeMarlboro published 19/07/2001
    Nice op - but album of the century? Can't agree with Time on that but as a beginner's guide to Marley it rates right up there!
  • baddog published 19/07/2001