finesse12... 5

finesse123

Member since:17.06.2004

EXPEDIA - VERY IMPRESSIVE SERVICE - Paris awful!

24.06.2004

Advantages:
Easy to use web site, good value for money

Disadvantages:
No tickets received in post

9 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. yamcam
  2. MAFARRIMOND
  3. petitesquirt
  1. torr
  2. ibizor
  3. karen5416

Here goes for writing my review of Expedia the on-line tour operater. (This is only my third review so still getting to grips with it all).

Anyway, I have recently been to Paris on a 2-night weekend break booked through this tour operator. When we first decided that my partner and I needed a well earned weekend away the easiest and quickest option was to head straight for the internet. we had heard about Expedia but had never booked with them , before. The site was very, very easy to follow and each hotel could be looked at in detail giving several pictures of the hotel, rooms, etc, Also listed was every feature about the hotel and a very detailed description was given to each one. Some of the info included, descriptions of bedrooms, whether with air con, tea-making facilities, mini-bar etc, location of hotel, services offered by hotel etc. etc. This made choosing the hotel very easy and the descriptions were laid out very well and easy to read.

A very good part of Expedia was the fact that you could enter in the choice of departure airport on which preferred date and whether morning, afternoon or evening and also the return date etc. etc. A list of different flights would then appear and a personal choice could be made.
The flight listings were very good because it quoted which airline and length of flight.

A price was quoted against each holiday/hotel per person and so a choice could be made easily.

The best point though was that all the holidays were very reasonably priced for this type of holiday knowing that city breaks are always a bit pricier to some other holiday destinations.

After we had made the selection of holiday and for us it was a 2-night break in Paris departing from Heathrow on a Friday lunchtime and flying by Air France to Paris and returning on the Sunday evening. We stayed bed and breakfast at the Copatel Rochambeau Hotel (3-star) in a standard double room. The total cost of the holiday for the two of us was £330.00. which I think was very good value. The hotel was excellent for the star rating. The room was quite small with no view from the window which when staying in a city for just two nights is okay anyway. The hotel was very quiet especially at night and the location was very good (sorry but can't give the exact location I can't find my travel guide book!) quite near most of the sights and near to a metro station. The price included a continental breakfast which was quite plentiful and very good. The rooms were very clean, had mini-bar, towels, hairdryer, air con etc.

The holiday was very quick and easy to book on Expedia and I most certainly would book by them again.
The only drawback to some people might be that no tickets for flights are sent to you but this was fine for us but to some people it might be a concern.

The only actual drawback to our break was in fact when I got to Paris I was disappointed with the place. It was worth going to see the famous sights but I found the service in cafes and restaurants very slow and the french people a little rude. The food was also pretty awful. As for Paris itself it was very dirty and run down. One good point was the metro which made it very easy to get around but it that was also very dirty and quite disgusting in places. I found Paris to be the most unromantic place ever.

Very pleased with Expedia, disappointed with Paris, sights worth seeing but probably will never go back.

yamcam 29.07.2004 07:24

Never tried Expedia, I will look into it. I agree with you on Paris, I have been there several time (with hubby-2-be`s work) & hate the place Angie x

petitesquirt 25.06.2004 01:46

I love being in Paris, but not in summers.

Florentine 24.06.2004 19:40

Personally, I love Paris, and last time I was there I found it much cleaner than UK cities, and was pleased that the people tolerated my atrocious 'school' French! I liked your review of Expedia though - I've heard it's good for prices and it's useful to know that you would recommend it.