Express By Holiday Inn, Golders Green North

Express By Holiday Inn, Golders Green North

Review of "Express By Holiday Inn, Golders Green North"

published 10/06/2013 | bbicuk01
Member since : 05/02/2007
I am an IT teacher at a Sixth Form College. I enjoy all sports and love reading and surfing the net. I will try and return ratings as soon as I can, if I forget comment on my guestbook and I'll get back to you
Pro Location and you know what you are going to get
Cons Hair Dryer and Aircon
Cleanliness
Service
Facilities

"Exactly what you'd expect from an Express"

I was running in the BUPA 10k race on the second May Bank Holiday and as my wife and daughters wanted to come and watch we decided to stay in a hotel in London for a couple of nights. The reason for choosing this hotel was that it was quite near to some friends that we wanted to visit in North London and had easy transport links to central London.

The hotel is ideally positioned just off of the North Circular Road between North Finchley and Golders Green. North Finchley tube station is about a 15 minutes’ walk away and Golders Green a 10 minute bus ride. The hotel has a bus stop right outside of the hotel which is really useful if that is your preferred form of travel in London. There is a small car park at the back of the hotel which is free for guests as long as you get your ticket validated - I am not 100% sure what you would do if the hotel was pretty full as there were clearly not enough spaces for all the rooms.

This is a Holiday Inn Express so if you have ever stayed in one of these hotels before you will know they way they work. We had booked a family room and checked in on the Sunday night, check in was easy and reception was nice and clean and open and new looking. Our room was on the 4th (top) floor and had a double bed and a double put up bed. There wasn't loads of space, but there was enough for the 4 of us to move around ok. The bathroom was nice and spacey but only had a shower stall rather than a bath and shower - fine for what we wanted. The room was clean, with the bedding looking nice and the carpet new.

The breakfast was fine on both mornings that we stayed in the hotel, as with other Holiday Inn Express' there was a selection of cereal, pastries and toast. A wide range of hot drinks and juice were available. As is the case with Holiday Inn Express' now you can get a small amount of cooked food as well, they have scrambled eggs, beans and beef sausages. The sausages were rock hard but the rest was perfectly ok. With the location of the hotel there is also a section of Kosha food for Jewish guests. The breakfast room wasn't hug and seemed to get full quite quickly, again I don't know what this would be like if there were more guests.

There was a bar next to the breakfast room but I never used this, although again it looked clean and a nice place to have a pint.

These are pretty much the positives of the hotel, there were one of two negatives:

The hair dryer in our room started to melt when my daughter started to use, not the most safe thing in the world when the plastic starts to bubble in your hands!!!

The aircon didn't seem to work very well, we played with all the settings but nothing seemed to change. This was a problem as with the location of the hotel if the windows were open you could hear the numerous police cars that drove past at all hours of the night.

The put-up bed for our daughters was not the greatest the headboard that had been laid flat to put the pillows on was not actually flat. It was on an angle that raised up this meant that both girls woke up in the morning complaining of stiff necks. I guess we could have complained to reception but I don't know what they could ahve done to improve the situation - we did comment on it in our feedback.

All in all I would say this is a nice Holiday Inn Express that met all of our needs, it wasn't outstanding but then we only wanted to stay the night. On Sunday night we ate in a restaurant called Lavash which is a 5 minute walk on the main road to Golders Green, it is a Persian/Middle Eastern restaurant and the food was amazing - well worth a visit. I do find that the Holiday Inn Express hotels are now in some cases becoming as good as the Holiday Inn's - if you don't need all the resources of a gym, swimming pool etc then the cheaper price is very attractive.

• Dentolux published 15/10/2014
    Melting hairdryer? Ouch. Hope you won the race.
  • supersonic75 published 18/06/2013