Fact Finders

Review of "Fact Finders"

published 10/06/2003 | samfroggatt
Member since : 15/01/2003
Pro Saying your consumer opinion, Something for nothing
Cons having the shopping scattered all around the kitchen so you now what you have scanned and not scanned.
Ease of Registration:
Speed of accumulation:
Range of benefits:
Ease of redemption:
Success in retaining brand loyalty:

"Points Means Missery"

I came across Factfinders in the same sort of way as Moose and Netsation, by recieving a survey in the post. As I enjoy filling in surveys I sent it back and low and behold a large box arrived with the scanner, video and handbook in.

Oh - Factfinders is a consumer club which has you scan all your shopping, weather it be the weekly shop or even a chocybar for a snack at lunchtime. All the data is recorded through a handheld Barcode scanner, which is then plugged into your phoneline, and their computer system will call and collect the data you have recorded. From doing this you earn points which can be spent in their catalogue. The data recorded is showing the shopping habits of consumers all over the world.

I followed the instructions plugged in the scanner through the telephone line, as shown in the diagrams. I thought great this can not be too bad, scanning the shopping and helping the world of the consumer......Well I was wrong!

I must admit I did and still do not mind the scanning of the products, my husband just complains at me all the time and says you take too long, I need to start dinner now so hurry up!

Well, I must after my hours of fun, which have turned into about 3 weeks, something strange started to happen.

The phone had a habit of ringing at about 2am every morning, just bling bling, which would wake the whole house up.

The first time this happened - I just put it down to a houks call, because the number was with held. This "bling bling" carried on for about 2 weeks.

Another strange thing strated to happen aswell, once the phone kicked in the computer would then trun itself on.

After complaining to factfinder they agreed to change the scanning equipment becasue the internet and a cordless phone should not affect the equipment. But the same things carried on happening, bling bling, computer turned on, bling bling computer turned on. They changed the equipment 3 times in all.

I believe the reason this ringing in a godly hour of the morning was due to having a cordless phone, which is then connected to the scanning equipment, and the internet comes into the circuit aswell (I only have one phone line you see.) When the Factfinder computer would ring in it would miss the equipment ring the phone which would then ring, and make contact with the computer.

The whole palava was caused by Factfinders equipment.

My advice would be DO NOT use this scanning equipment if you have a cordless phone or even have the internet sharing the same phone line as the Factfinder equipment, it will fry your modem and wake your household up.

• halloumihalloumi published 18/08/2005
    I have a cordless phone and t causes no problems with factfinders - not sure about the internet as even though my modem is connected to the same line i always turn the computer off at the wall so no problems. The problems described are really easy to get around if you use your initiatve a bit!
  • ddunn published 10/10/2004
    Would have been helpful if you had explained what FactFinders was first. Dave
  • moose published 18/06/2003
    LOL! I have both, a cordless phone and ADSL - and yep, I get the ringing too. But I leave the phone downstairs and the only one to hear it is the dog! Ok...I can't be contacted in an emergency but hey, when there are some freebies going then let it ring!!!! (I do get annoyed whilst shopping at Morrisons though as their stuff will never scan!).

offers "Fact Finders"