Review of "Falcon Acoustic Guitar (Blue)"

published 02/09/2007 | runetune
Member since : 11/11/2005
Pro Great price, great looks, great sound!
Cons Not the one if you want to do high fingerboard solos
Quality of sound
How easy is it to buy accessories?
Quality of amplified sound
How well constructed is it?

"The Falcon Flies"

First lets get the technical details of this out of the way:

Features:

· Top: Linden Lam.
· Body: Linden Lam.
· Binding: Neck
· Fingerboard: Rosewood
· Scale: 650mm
· Machines: Chrome
· Bridge: Rosewood

This is a full size, full-bodied dreadnought style acoustic guitar.

Looks:

Well I admit, I do love blue acoustic guitars! And this one doesn't disappoint. It has a lovely darker edge that melds in with a lighter blue as it gets nearer the middle of the guitar - this was set off very nicely with simple white trim and body bonding. It has a nice looking set of machine heads (for those who don't play, its those things at the top - in this case chrome - that the strings go through and wind on), and the machine heads are on the headstock that is detailed in the same colour as the body, which is a nice touch. This is offset with a nice Rosewood fingerboard (where the strings run between the main body of the guitar and Machine heads). It looks nicely proportioned - but it doesn't have a cut out in the body.

Impressions:

Excellent choice for a novice player, adult or child, and it is also a great guitar for the more experienced player just to hump about with you when you want something to pull out and play at a party or something similar.
It has nice steel strings which give it a nice acoustic rock sound, and the strings that are supplied are light gauge, allowing for slightly more give and tolerance if like me you aren't the greatest player. So, light strings but still a great rock sound! Nice.

The notes had nice clarity right the way across the Fingerboard, and that is something you don't often find in the cheaper Acoustics around. In fact had I not known the price I would have put the sound quality at least a bracket up from this one.
As you would expect on most guitars, this also has inlaid dot markers on the fingerboard, alongside and in-between the frets (those chrome marker sections you have on the fingerboard).

I used a capo while playing (I have two types) and they both fitted without a problem, and no slippage when placed on the neck (again something I have noticed on cheaper guitars). The sound quality remained good and clear.

I do admit I do miss a cut out body - but unless you are planning massive solo efforts, and on these guitars, you're not likely to go mad doing that (although they still produce a nice solo performance). Basically they are ideal for knocking out the chords and everyone just singing along as you go!

This is a very competitive end of the guitar market, and one that Falcon has really made their mark on with these guitars (they are also available in other colours should you wish). In fact, I can't think of anyone better at the moment in this part of the market! I would currently recommend Falcon above anything else out there.

Prices range from between £39-00 and £69-00 from various dealerships. I paid £39-00 for mine from a local independent guitar shop I use. It is well worth hunting about for the right deal because there is such a variation in price range out there - but watch your possible shipping costs if you order online. It might make what appears a cheap guitar suddenly rather more expensive!

One final note - the rating here asks for amplified sound - and wouldn't let me post without a rating. However this is an acoustic guitar! It doesn't have a plug in (although you could if you wished place a mic in there) So that can be ignored when reading the ratings given.

I give this a full set of stars - because I think for the money it is unbeatable value! And it looks good :)

• MumCC published 03/09/2007
    A wonderful review.
  • Collingwood21 published 02/09/2007
    I used to play the guitar, but mine was never this funky! ;-)
  • Morning_Becomes_Electra published 02/09/2007
    This is a really nice looking Guitar for the price. This would do me, as I do play a little. A good beginners Guitar I would say.