Fantasy & SF Book Club

Fantasy & SF Book Club

Review of "Fantasy & SF Book Club"

published 21/01/2003 | Gavin_t
Member since : 16/01/2003
Satisfactory
Pro Good selection of books and cheaper
Cons Editor's choice
Variety on offer
Catalogue
Purchase obligations

"Book Club mayhem"

I am an avid reader of Science fiction and Fantasy so this club definitely sounded ideal for me. All you have to do is sign up, order 4/5 books at an introductory prices and then purchase regularly from the catalogue, which is sent once every two months. Videos, special deals, collectables, were all on offer.

Still interested then read on..........

Everything had been going right, so I really had nothing to complain about but when things went wrong then my perception was changed so much so I cancelled my subscription.

To summarise, every so often the club will offer a signed plate by the author of a specific title, these items are limited in number so they have to be ordered pretty quickly. I did so and was pleased to be notified i'd be receiving a signed Ursula K LeGuin plate a worthwhile addition to anyone's collection. The book arrived in record time with an advice note, informing me the plate was being sent separately.

After 3 months of receiving these advice notes without any sign of the plate, I contacted the Customer Care line, explained my query to the agent who then informed the plate was no longer available and was sorry I hadn't been informed sooner. Surprised, I asked if there were any alternative plates available and was told without the product code she (the agent) couldn’t tell me. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was duly told none were available but if I left my mobile number I would be contacted that afternoon to resolve the issue.

After two weeks I rung again and was told exactly the same as before, which again turned into nothing. On my third attempt I asked for my membership to be cancelled due to the poor customer care I was receiving but was still waiting for the matter i'd raised to be resolved and was told everything would be settled in due time.

Two months later I received the editor's choice on a cancelled membership. I informed the company straightaway and explained my plight, as a gesture of goodwill I was given the books as compensation. One week later a courier arrived at my home address to take back the editor's choice I was sent in error. A rather forceful no settled the argument.

All in all, a very poor after sales service, subjected to incompetent behaviour. I did not notice any care given to me as a customer, despite having spent in excess of £100, in less than a year purchasing their books.

• lizibeth published 29/12/2004
    I had a similar experience with customer services - they're very poor
  • waitty published 21/09/2003
    I had exactly the same type of experience, for a different reason, with their Customer (lack of) Services people. I did the same as you: took my purchasing power elsewhere.
  • RobStead published 22/01/2003
    With me being a huge Buffy Fan, I considered joining this - but I won't be doing now. Rob :)