Fantasy & SF Book Club

Fantasy & SF Book Club

Review of "Fantasy & SF Book Club"

published 18/03/2003 | huggycat
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Satisfactory
Pro very good internet ordering service, and do not need credit card to become a member
Cons customer services take long time to respond to calls and emails.
Variety on offer
Catalogue
Purchase obligations

"Don't be fooled...there's always a catch"

I joined the club via the net about 8 months ago. I liked the fact that you could order very easily over the web without having to make a payment up front, and there was no need for a credit card which is unfortunately the norm with this type of club, especially for me, who doesn't trust themself with such payment method!
I was very pleased with my initial purchases, being a fan of star wars, Iain Banks and comic art. The selection of sci-fi books, DVD's, videos, graphic novels, special edition boxed sets was too good to be true....
You have to be careful to read between the lines, if you do not order a book from the catalogue they send you every 2 months, they automatically send and charge you for the "editors choice" a supposed good value recommendation. The rules and regs state you have to make purchases from the first three catalogues, then there's no obligation, but there is no option after the initial three months to not order the editor's choice OR a book from the catalogue, ie: you HAVE to make a purchase each catalogue if you still want to remain a member.
Three months ago I made a return via White Arrow. I still not had any confirmation of said return and still no credit of the returned item to my account, even after two emails to their returns department who assured me that everything would be sorted soon. My satisfaction with this club has unfortunately waned too far...
Good cheap book prices, service great until you need to return one...

• magicloudz published 19/03/2003
    You could add the name of the website, to help this review a little bit:) -Jon
  • Coxecal published 19/03/2003
    not a bad first op... try adding a bit more detail about the club... how much of a savings do you get on the books... what are some of the featured authors... and how difficult is it to return a book..?? welcome to ciao and take care.. 'peaches n beans'
  • SueMagee published 19/03/2003
    I'm afraid there re always catches!