Fantasy & SF Book Club

Fantasy & SF Book Club

Review of "Fantasy & SF Book Club"

published 23/01/2004 | snow_queen
Member since : 28/10/2003
Good
Pro Very good priced books, and a great introductory package
Cons Postage is quite high, there is a minimum membership
Variety on offer
Catalogue
Purchase obligations

"Scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ish)"

An an avid Buffy fan, I joined the Fantasy and science fiction book club after a leaflet through the post, mainly for the introductory package, which, although there are different offers from time to time, was very good. I got lots of Buffy and Angel books at an unbelieavable price. It was less that 1/100th of their retail value. The price was made quite a lot higher by postage costs, which were around 4.00 (pounds sterling.) They offered a great range of titles from authors such as Tolkien, and from popular TV series' such as Dark angel and charmed. After the introductory package, I found the prices very reasonable, and always lower than shop prices. One of the down sides for me was the fact that being as impatiant as I am, it really bothered me that it could take up to 28 days for each order to come, by which time you had to buy another book.
You had to place an order every month, for a minimum of 12 months, though when I rang up to tell them that I wanted to send my membership after 14 months because of some financial difficulty I was in, they were eager to offer me a break from buying the books until I had sorted out my money probs, though I think that to be allowed to do this, you had to have completed the 12 compulsory months of order on time.
You had a membership number, and in order to place an order over the telephone you had to enter it, which annoyed me a little because I kept loosing my statememnts and could never remember the number because I am very un-organised. However, I quickly found out that If you type it in wrong too many times, they put you through to customer services which is a lot easier to operate than their automated system.
For more info check out www.fsf.co.uk, though you are bound to get to get a leaflet in your magazines or through the post.

• Plymyphil published 23/01/2004
    Thanks for sharing this helpful op. - Phil
  • elkiedee published 23/01/2004
    Other pieces of information that would be helpful are whether the books you bought were original or bookclub special editions, and paperback or hardback. Plus I would follow the tips below. I see you have actually included the website address. Luci
  • anwar published 23/01/2004
    Hi and welcome to ciao.It would make your review a bit easier to read if it were split into paragraphs.Ann