saznant 4

saznant

Member since:01.08.2003

Rusk be good!

20.01.2004

Advantages:
Healthy, convienient and good value .

Disadvantages:
none

Nutritional Value

1. TheChocolateLady
  2. Kukana
  3. jillmurphy
and a further member

Well it`s been 6 months since my little girl was born and where has the time got to. I never believed people when they said make the most of it because, it doesn`t last long, but it is true they are not that cute little buddle of joy forever. Not that she is going to stop being cute ( especially if she grows up looking like her mum HE HE ), but she will be a big bundle of joy instead.

So as she is growing nicely, so is her appetite. We decided to try her with these Farley rusks made by Heinz. And boy she really took to them like a duck takes to water, she couldn`t get enough. She has only had the original flavour up till now but they do other various flavours.

**** SO WHAT ARE THESE ****

These are basically biscuits for babies with all the minerals and vitamins, thrown in to help baby with growth and healthy development.
They are designed for two uses:

1) Can be used for a weaning food for the younger baby

2) Or used as a finger food for the older baby who can already feed themselves.

**** PACKAGING ****

They come in a red, white and blue large box, that has the Heinz logo in the centre, and this really cute bear below. There are farley rusks scattered in the top right hand corner and in the bottom left hand corner. Also in the top left hand corner is the age from which babies can have these from, in this instance they can have these from the age of 4 months.

At the bottom is Farley`s rusks written in white letters and the flavour. (original )

On the box is the nutritional information and directions for use, safety warnings and ingredients. More about these later.

This box holds 300g and the biscuits come in 2 foil packets each containing 9 biscuits. It does tell you that there is 18 in the box on one of the flaps when you first open the box.

***** THE FARLEY RUSK *****

Now I hadn`t actually seen these before, and it surprised me at how big they were and how hard they were. They are the size of a normal adult round biscuit - digestive lets say - but a bit chunkier than that.
They have a rough texture to them and they are light brown in colour.

I knew I had to try one in the name of research so I broke a bit of and put it in my mouth. VERDICT, it was OKAY, a bit plain maybe but what the hey I am not the one supposed to be eating it.
So I munched the my way through the rest of the biscuit while I prepared Bethany some.

So the directions are as follows for use as a weaning food.

You break up the rusk into smallish pieces and put into a clean bowl.Then add a small amount of either baby milk or previously cooled boiled water. You can change the amount of water or milk to suit baby.
Wait for a bit for the biscuit to become moist and soggy and then squash any larger lumps with the back of a spoon. Then you should be left with a fairly smooth mixture.
Then it is ready to serve with a clean spoon to baby.
The instructions were dead easy to follow and I was happy as it was mess free, very quick and convienient.

If you want to use it as finger food, just give the biscuit to baby whole, and let them suck it and suck it, till it falls to bits and gets stuck in your carpet ( only kidding, I have got all that to come yet.). They are easily dissolved and a great way for baby to learn to bite and chew.

**** SAFETY WARNING ***

As with any food make sure you always keep an eye on baby while they are feeding.

Storing them is easy also, just twist the foil wrapper at the top very tightly to maintain the freshness, and then tuck the flap back inside the other flap on the top of the box.

***** NUTRITIONAL INFO *****

These contain :

Iron ( in one rusk is 20 % of the daily intake needed for baby )
Calcium
Fibre
Vitamin D
Riboflavin
And a few other minerals and vitamins.

They have no preservatives, no artificial flavours, no artificial coloursand no added salt.

They are suitable for vegetarians, are egg free and milk free.

These do contain gluten though.

**** PRICE ****

We bought these from boots and they cost us £1. 89 for the large box of 18. There was a smaller box with 9 in but I am afraid I didn`t notice the price of them. I would assume that they are probably half the price of my box.

***** EXTRA INFO ****

They do 2 other flavours that I am aware of which are apple, banana.
I sorry bethany will definately be trying these one next.

As I have already mentioned these are made by Heinz in England at

H.J Heinz Co.Ltd,
Hayes,
Middx,
UB4 8AL

This is where you can write to to find out more information or alternatively you can call or visit there website.

Telephone no is 0845 057 0057
Website address is www.tinytums.co.uk where you will find all the info you need on weaning.

*** JUST TO SUM UP ****

Healthy and nutritous
Reasonably priced
Great for little or big babies
Easy to prepare
Quick and convienient

*** MY VERDICT ***

I don`t think that I could give her anything else that is better for her than these. She enjoys eating them, and they are giving her everything she needs.

Thanks for reading

SARAH 2004

Kukana 22.01.2004 09:34

I used to like these as much as my sons did! There was lots of useful information in your review, but I'd have preferred a little more personal opinion about the rusks, and how they compare to others. Sue

tarara 21.01.2004 02:25

I love these, fortunatley I have several nieces and nephews that eat them so I don't have to resort to buying them for myself! Anne x

BUBBLES171 21.01.2004 00:52

Prefer Tescos own brand lol, no joking apart I do occasionally buy these for myself as they are really really nice. karen :0)