Febreeze

Air Freshener

Review of "Febreeze"

published 17/03/2004 | Little-miss
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro does work, smells pleasant, lasts ages
Cons expensive,
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"A Febreze of fresh air"

Once upon a time when my daughter was younger, she used to wet the bed. Apart from the upset it caused her, even with a mattress protector, I found the mattress still used to smell slightly stale and off putting to the nose.
Enter Febreze into my household. I’d originally been alerted to it via all the dubbed adverts on TV, with the lovely smelling house, despite having dogs, smokers and smelly shoes everywhere. I was sure it wasn’t going to work quite as well as that, but I was willing to give it a try.

The price was a bit off putting in itself when I was perusing the supermarket shelves for it. A 500ml bottle was around £2.50. I was convinced it would be £2.50 well spent if it did the trick. It’s also available in larger bottle carrying larger price tags too.

How does it work?

Febreze supposedly rids fabrics of odours, by spraying the offending article with a generous amount of spray, and when it dries it takes the smell with it.

I personally mainly used it on mattresses as I said, so I spray an over generous amount to the entire area, not just the wet bits, open the window and leave all day. The more you spray the longer it will take to dry so it’s best to do first thing in the morning to ensure proper drying time throughout the day.

Does it work?

I find Febreze leaves an odour of its own behind as opposed to ridding the original smell. The classic version of the spray has quite a fresh pleasant aroma.
Closer inspection of the mattress after drying time had elapsed, I would say there was definitely a pleasant smell rather than nasty aromas. I am pleased with the effects of Febreze on mattresses, but there are so many other uses for it that I hadn’t tried back then.

Now I use it on my sofas to create a “fresh” smell from the cat using my cushions as his bed more often than not.

Where can you use Febreze?

Procter and Gamble (who make Febreze) tell us we can use their product on linen, upholstery, mattresses, canvas shoes, car seats, carpets etc. They do advise to test a small patch first if using on delicate fabrics.

Febreze isn’t suitable for use on leather, suede and silk so check before spraying away.

*****

Procter and Gamble have recently updated their product packaging and range of sprays. My bottle is still your standard trigger pump, white bottle, but the bottles are now a clear light blue with a range of different fragrances, including extra strength (classic smell), spring renewal, meadow rain, blossoms and breeze.

My 500ml bottle has lasted me a good year as I don’t see the need to use it all the time, only when I see a need to, therefore I think it’s an idea product to keep in the cupboard for when you need it, as you never know when these instances can occur.

Do I recommend it?

Definitely, as I said buy it, you never know when it’ll come in handy, and it does help get rid of nasty whiffs I would rather not smell.

This review was read 1961 times and was rated at

• mumsymary published 19/03/2004
    I have a bottle its lasted me ages . I rarely use it
  • AnitaM published 18/03/2004
    We've just had to invest in some of this after a little cat accident. I found I had to use quite a lot of it though.
  • Kukana published 17/03/2004
    I've never actually used this stuff. I prefer either fresh air or something like lavender oil or pot pourri if there's a stale smell in the house. Sue