Viborg 2

Viborg

About me: Thanks to Bollinger28, I find I can add photos when I use Chrome :)

Member since:30.12.2011

Febreze Aerosol Thai Orchid: Spray Mechanism Failed

28.04.2012

Advantages:
Very pleasant smell .

Disadvantages:
My spray mechanism is faulty & I will have to discard it .

51 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. euphie
  2. danielclark691
  3. Dendrit

ĎLeave Behind The Chaos Of Odoursí
I am fortunate to live in a house with three bathrooms Ė well, strictly speaking, cloakrooms. Without being too explicit, there are times when there is a need to disguise less than pleasant smells Ė we are a household of 3 adults after all! Whenever possible I prefer to do this by opening the appropriate window and letting the fresh air in. This is hard to do in the downstairs cloakroom because of how and where that window opens out, and, as this is the one most likely to be used by guests, Iím quite keen to make sure it always smells pleasant. For the upstairs bathrooms Iím often content to settle for supermarket own brand air fresheners, but I was prepared to pay more for downstairs for that reason.

Why Thai Orchid
I live in a small market town and my main stores are limited to a Tescoís and a small Sainsburyís. For breadth of choice I usually shop in Tescoís, and thatís where I found the Febreze Thai Orchid Air Freshener on sale for about £2, I think. It was just after Christmas and I think I must have felt in the mood for something a bit exotic to brighten the dark days of winter, in the smell department at least! I hadnít tried it before but thought Iíd give it a go. I have grown a few orchids, and one in particular smells gorgeous, so I was intrigued to discover what this one was like.

A Little Enlightenment
Febreze Thai Orchid air freshener comes in a 300ml pressurised canister, lively pink in colour with a pink plastic top and white trigger. It claims that it Ďeliminates odours and freshensí and is for Ďa moment of pure relaxation and zení. The idea is that it eliminates odours without masking them, and leaves behind a pleasant scent. Apparently itís a non-flammable propellant but 5% by mass of the contents are flammable, so care needs to be taken about storage in high temperatures and it shouldnít be pierced or burnt, even when empty. On the reverse are the usual warnings about solvent abuse dangers, keeping away from children, and what to do if you inadvertently spray it in your eyes. The parent company is Procter Gamble and a helpline number is provided, but no website or email contact address.

A Fragrant Experience But Not Quite As Expected!
The first thing I noticed when using this product was that I seemed to have to pull the trigger mechanism quite hard before I noticed anything happening. A fine mist was dispensed, with a subtle, sweetly floral aroma which I found delightful. However, I soon found that when I pulled the trigger hard I sometimes found the mirror very badly stained where the mist had presumably settled on it. Now itís a very small room so I can understand that this might happen, but it puzzles me as to why it happens when the spray is pointed in the opposite direction. Then I began to notice that I couldnít smell much when trying to spray, and was having to pull harder. It got to the point where I was convinced there was something wrong with the hole the spray comes out of, but I canít see anything wrong. Today I tried to use it and noticed that my hand was getting wet, so it clearly has a problem somewhere as it was leaking all down my hand! I think I will have to discard it with over 50% left. Itís not safe to tamper with a pressurised container.

It Wasnít a ĎBrezeí For Me
Now I have considered taking it back, but it seems a bit late after it was purchased. I really donít think I can be bothered. I think perhaps I was just unfortunate, because I have seen one in use in an office at work and there donít seem to be any complaints there. I feel itís been impossible for me to evaluate the actual product adequately because of the faulty container. On that basis, I cannot in all conscience recommend it, although if you were to buy it you would probably find it fine. For that reason, and that alone, Iím going to be tough in scoring and award it two stars. I think it probably is a good product, deserving of a high rating, but I donít think I will be buying it again because Iíve never had a problem like this with a similar product and there are many others from which to choose. What a pity.

Pictures of Febreze Aerosol Thai Orchid