Fentimans Traditional Dandelion & Burdock

Fentimans Traditional Dandelion & Burdock

Dandelion & Burdock

Review of "Fentimans Traditional Dandelion & Burdock"

published 01/06/2009 | pmcds
Member since : 07/11/2005
The triple reloading due to the advertising banners ciao has is doing my head in. Almost can't be bothered to stick with the site!!!
Pro Tastes great, doesn't leave a lingering taste
Cons Pricy

"Perfect for a sunny day!"

I have always been a fan of dandelion & burdock, from when I was a kid and tried some of my mum's. My wife doesn't like it, nor does my son, so I don't often buy it. However, we went out today, and I saw a bottle of this. We were at Arlington Court, a National Trust property, and they often offer high quality products such as this.

I liken the taste to a sort of spicy cola, in a way, and not just because the visual stimuli make you think you're drinking some form of cola. The dandelion gives a nice floral taste to it as well, but this is a more subtle flavour. Initially, the taste does hit the back of your throat with quite a kick, but whereas D&B usually has a strong and lingering effect, this one has a nice, crisp and clean flavour, with strong undertones that slowly fade after each sip. And also, the drink is less a fizzy drink and more one that is lightly sparkling. It makes a difference that it has this 'texture' once it hits your taste buds.

Fentimans are considered a bit of a better quality product of drink than other brands, whether it be their cola, ginger beer or indeed dandelion and burdock. This one is made with as many nagtural ingredients as possible, and the recipe seems to have more care taken over it. They take their time over the 'brewing' process, performed botanically and with care and attention being paid. The drink is 0.5% ABV (alcohol by volume) but this is low enough to make it okay for kids to drink.

As a result of the brewing process and the quality all round, the price is a lot higher than the average drink. Normally, a 275ml bottle will cost around the £1 mark, but today it cost me just over £2. In comparison, a bottle of coke or fanta costs around £1.50 or £1.60 from Arlingotn Court, for comparative purposes.

I recommend this product. It tastes great, and doesn't have a lingering effect like other dandelion and burdock drinks do. It isn't as readily available as you might like or expect, though, but if you do see it, it's well worth any extra price you might find.

• TheHairyGodmother published 21/01/2011
    i love dandelion and burdock!
  • dingledot published 04/06/2009
    hilarious
  • retireduser published 01/06/2009
    Cool review. ^_^ Could do with one on a hot day like today.