Fentimans Traditional Ginger Beer

Fentimans Traditional Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer

Review of "Fentimans Traditional Ginger Beer"

published 02/05/2013 | dynamicnurse
Member since : 30/07/2007
Pro Nice taste.
Cons Not for everyone.
Packaging Design
Taste / Flavour

"Getting drunk on ginger."

In the past, my taste levels of ginger beer only really went to a supermarket own brand. However recently, a friend introduced me to Fentimans Traditional Ginger Beer and I have also since found it in my local shop and I have now had the odd bottle or six of it and I have really enjoyed it. Claiming to be botanically brewed, it started to be made in 1905 by the Fentimans family and they are at this based in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Judging by the blurb on the label of it, the reason that it has been botanically brewed is because of their claims to using (and I quote) ‘the best milled roots; finest herbs, and natural flavourings in our draughts’ (and this quote has been taken from the label). When you first take a swig from the bottle, you don’t really get all that much of the taste. However, after a small matter of seconds come the after taste – which can be quite strong if you are not yet quite expecting it, as the taste of the ginger really does come through.

The ingredients list is as follows: fermented ginger root extract; carbonated water; sugar; glucose syrup; natural flavourings (ginger; capsicum; lemon; speedwell; juniper; yarrow); cream of tartar, and citric acid. There are however no dietary notes on the side of the bottle, and so therefore I cannot really make any assumptions as to who can or cannot partake of this totally wonderful beverage.

The drink comes in a brown glass bottle which of course can be recycled, and its net volume as printed on the side of the bottle is 275 mls. I feel that this drink is one that is best had with a meal in order to add something extra to your food, as already pointed out the after taste can be quite a shock to some people. Although with this said I personally to find it to be OK, but I guess that everyone's tastes are different.

On the screw top lid along with on the neck of the bottle is the logo of the company, which is a picture of the Alsatian dog that once belonged to the original founder (Thomas Fentiman). Alongside this is also printed the best before date, and the usual customary codes printed on the side.

There are two labels on the main part of the part, one on the front that displays the name of the drink and one on the back that has the ingredients list and contact details (see below). On the rear label there is also a bar code which may be of some help to people, and the number is 50939622334.

And as promised, the contact details are as follows:

Fentimans Ltd
90 Grey Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 6AG.

www.fentimans.com

I do really enjoy this drink, and I cannot really recommend it enough to you and so take a look for it. On looking back over the course of my review I have also just noticed that I have not included a price, which is £1 locally in my corner shop but of course prices can also vary according to wherever you decide to go in order to buy it.

Thanks for reading!

• xxfoxyredxx published 02/05/2013
    Bit confused your title suggests it is alcoholic but then I cant tell by your review as you dont mention it lol x Does this contain alcohol or am I missing something lolx

offers "Fentimans Traditional Ginger Beer"