Ferplast Guinea Pig and Dwarf Rabbit Cage Rabbit 100

Ferplast Guinea Pig and Dwarf Rabbit Cage Rabbit 100

Guinea Pig Cages

Review of "Ferplast Guinea Pig and Dwarf Rabbit Cage Rabbit 100"

published 30/04/2012 | sarahbarrow
Member since : 11/05/2007
Well that was the longest couple of weeks break I've ever had! xx
Pro A nice cage that comes with a starter kit.
Cons Unsure whether it will last the "boys"!
Design & Look

"Fudge and Alvins "room"!."

When my husband decided he was going to buy my children a guinea pig each, we were complete and utter novices in the way of small animals, so much so that we did what we normally wouldn’t do, and listened to the attendant serving in the store at the time of purchase, though due to this being a last minute decision we decided this was the way to go at that point.

We did do everything a little backwards, picking the guinea pigs first, then going to pick a cage and all the accessories that go with them, though there would have been no point surely if we didn’t like the pigs on offer!

Due to us buying two guinea pigs we were advised that a larger cage be purchased to give them room to run about, and with this being an indoor cage too it obviously had to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye also.

After much perusing we decided that the best cage for us, and one that was the best price too was the “Ferplast 100 guinea pig and dwarf rabbit cage”, more for the fact that you also get a basic set up pack with the cage too, consisting of feeding bowl, water bottle an now (though wasn’t available when we purchased our cage) also a feeding cage that hangs from the bars themselves.

The cage’s dimensions are - L95 x W57 x H46cm, making this the ideal size for two guinea pigs or one dwarf rabbit.

The bottom plastic tray of the cage is fully removable for ease of cleaning, though find it just as easy to clean with a dustpan and broom, then give it a quick spray with the appropriate cage cleaner, then a wipe down.

The bottom is sturdy and chew proof though be under no illusions that the little blighters won’t give it a good go, around the sides of the “room” separator there are very distinctive Fudge and Alvin sized bite marks!

The cage part is attached with four securing clips around three of the sides, with there being two separate swing up “doors” for access to the guinea pigs or feeding.

Inside the cage there is the afore mentioned “room” separator, which is simply a shelf that comes a 1/3 of the way out over the bottom tray, with a small section to give the guinea pigs a bit of privacy and somewhere to sleep when still feeling a little shy.
Though I have now removed the smaller section divider as my boys struggled getting in and out due there now larger frames!

On top of this section there is a small round mound over which the free feeding bowl sits, though I have had to abandon that idea as my boys either can’t or won’t get on top of the shelf to get at the food, so after moving the bowl onto the bottom of the cage I have had to replace that too as the boys keep flipping it over to play with it!

The free bottle was soon made short shrift of, with that being chewed into pieces within a fortnight, though the free cage advertised as coming with the cage now looks very useful, holding the food clear from the floor which of course is also where the boys do their “business”!

Any downsides? Only a couple and one of those is due to general wear and tear.

The first is the flimsy cage front. Due to the constant opening and shutting of one of the sides of the cage, it has somehow worked the hooks that hold the door onto the rest of the cage a bit looser than the rest, so every time the door is opened it falls of the main part of the cage, though this is easy enough to remedy by simply re-hooking he door back on before closing.

The second is due to the boys having chosen a certain corner for their liquid “business”, and even with the weekly clean out I do of the cage, it has created an almost cement like substance in that corner, which I now really struggle to get the sawdust out of, let alone managed to get the cleaning spray to clean away any residual muck.

Aside from these this has been a good cage so far, though whether it will outlast the boys is undecided, with the door having gone already and the cemented sawdust in the corners, though once a new layer of sawdust is sprinkled in the corners are soon hidden away!

Price wise this cost me £59.99, which was quite reasonable in comparison to some of the smaler cages this was only a few pounds more in price, and this one came with a starter kit too (though of course didn’t last too long!).

For more information visit - www.petsathome.co.uk

This has been my boys home for nearly 18 months now, and hope it will continue to be so for much, much onger!

Thanks for reading x