Review of "Fiat Grande Punto"

published 10/10/2011 | tubster011
Member since : 09/11/2007
Pro T-Jet engine, ride comfort superb, stunning to look at, Blue&Me system, 37mpg average
Cons Tinny soundsystem, A few small rattles developing, Fiat dealership prices
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"A Grande Purchase."

Fiat Grande Punto

Fiat Grande Punto

It has been some time since I have reviewed anything on this website but I felt the urge to come back on here and write a review about my beloved Grande Punto that I bought last year.
Now this review will not say its the best car in the world but all things considered you get an awful lot of car for your money.
I bought my Fiat Grande Punto Sporting T-Jet in July last year (2010). It was 18 months old on a 58 plate and had only covered 14000 miles. It still had 18 months of its Warranty left and only set me back £8000. I mean the car was sold new with all of the extras on it that they could have thrown at it for just over £16000. I massive half the price of buying it new and it felt like new!
Mine came with the Panoramic Sunroof, Street pack and Parking sensors as options along with a few other things that skip my mind.
I couldnt live without the Sunroof, ever since having one in my old Mk1 Punto that I reviewed on here all those years ago, and the Parking sensors are a GODSEND. Its a small car, but feels substantial when you drive it. And park it lol. Thus why I think parking sensors are a must, rear visibility isnt the greatest but thats what you pay for when you want a stunning car to look at.
I still look at it now and I smile inside.
Its black, probably not the best colour to pick as scratches show up fast and in great numbers. However when its clean and polished I think its the best colour out there.
Now onto the drive, I havent driven many cars but I have driven some close rivals, I.e. the Peugeot 206 GTI, Ford Fiesta ST and some other small fast hatches and none of them quite compare to the refinement of the Grande Punto, it just feels like more effort has gone into the ride comfort and materials used in its construction.
It may not have the most responsive of steering in the sea of cars that its competing with but everyone that has driven my car wants it for the feather light power steering, I drive with it on City mode all the time as that just sets it into Speed sensitive steering mode and just makes life easier.
With regards to the miles per gallon, I do 40 miles a day on an A road with small stretches of dual carriageway. I can cruise at 50mph getting an instantaneous MPG of around 60 but on average I get around 38mpg what with stopping and starting, if I behave myself. But if i'm a little bit naughty it can drop to the 30mpg mark.
The insurance, now this is the best part. This car is a nippy one with 0-60 times of around 8.7 seconds. I can guarantee you that you can not get a cheaper insurance group car with those performance figures. I'm 21 with 2 years no claims at present and I got a cheapest quote of £750 a year. I think thats pretty good going for a hot hatch.
Now onto the slight disadvantage. I took my beloved punto in for its first real service since I had it and thought i'd do it all by the book. How wrong I was. A standard service, guess what it was... £200? No. £300?... No. £400?... No. Yes ladies and gentlemen you got it. £500. I walked straight out and took it down to my local garage and got a service and two new front tyres (Hankooks) for just under £300. Thats more like value for money. So if you plan on buying a car that you're going to have a full dealership history with, this is not the car for you.
I havent had anything serious go wrong with the car and i'm hoping I wont have anything go wrong in the future as the warranty run out a couple of months back.
The crowning acheivement of Fiat in recent years is their intergrated Blue&Me system, I have to say I kinda wish they never installed it because I am quite the Car Audio buff, I like to put in my own headunit and all that but this really is too good to get rid of and is kind of lacking in the bass area if i'm completely honest. But what do you expect from a bog standard headunit, you're only going to get a decent sound from Audi's Bose system or BMW's special sound system or something of that caliber.
Back onto driving this car on a day to day basis, I drive 40 miles a day and I never get bored of the power and excitement you get from that turbo charged 1.4 engine sitting infront of me. Its plenty to play with however I am slightly tempted to take it to a remapping place and get the power upped from 120hp to 155hp to make it the same as the Abarth.
I really can't say enough good things about this car, I will own this for years to come and will enjoy every single minute of it. I hope this review has shown you what its like to own a Grande Punto Sporting T-Jet. Its good.
If there is anything else you wish to know that I havent covered please feel free to ask me.

• tubster011 published 12/10/2011
    thanls jjcross, this is actually an altered version of my original review where I didnt state the MPG. I took heed of the comments and revised it.
  • jjcross published 12/10/2011
    Love your title- might want to categorise your review a bit more. savvyshopper6476. They HAVE mentioned MPG!!!!!!!
  • savvyshopper6476 published 11/10/2011
    A good start here but some additional info would make this more helpful such as mikes per gallon, insurance bracket, cost of parts etc. Perhaps try reading a few exceptional reviews in this catagory to see the standard to boost your average rate. If you decide to amend msg me and I will gladly re rate. x