Finest Resort Playa Mujeres, Cancun

Finest Resort Playa Mujeres, Cancun

Review of "Finest Resort Playa Mujeres, Cancun"

published 04/06/2016 | Obuasi
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"The Finest Indeed"

entry into pool from decking area.

entry into pool from decking area.

This was my first visit to Mexico and I travelled with my son, 6 year granddaughter and husband which was at the end of August 2015 to beginning of September 2015

The Finest Hotel
The Finest Hotel is located about 25 minutes away from Cancun International Airport at a place called Playa Mujeres. This hotel is away from the hustle and bustle of the main strip Cancun is better known for and has a long strip of beach complete with powder soft sand.

Arrival
The entrance once you are in the lobby area is modern airy and large and you are welcomed with a cold glass of sparkling wine which was very welcome. You are seen to your room by the concierge who gives an explanation of the resort etc.

Our Room.
We stayed in a Finest Swim up SuiteOur swim up room was a large room consisting of a King size bed, a large L shaped sofa bed, 46 inch TV, free Wi-Fi , stocked mini bar including snacks and also 3 bottles of premium spirits. The bathroom had a HUGE walk in rain shower , double vanity units with VIP toiletries. It also had a oversize Jacuzzi for two ( as big as a hot tub)We also had Free room service 24 hrs a day ( how awesome is that!!)

But best of all was the large private decking area leading to steps for the swim up pool. This pool was in a L shape and although anyone could swim in the pool is was only swam in by people who had the rooms. Opposite your decking area there are also a pair of sun loungers and parasol to sit too. A waiter would come round at regular times to see if you needed a drink whilst you were on your decking or in the pool - it was fab!

Restaurants
There are 12 restaurants on the resort,

The Market Kitchen - casual cafeteria style from all around the world

Dukes Lobster & Seafood - The title says it all!

Insieme Trattoria - Italian based

Bistro - this restaurant is for Excellence guests only ( you pay a higher premium to be an Excellence guest)

Tinto & Tapas - based on Spanish tapas and Sangria

Lizo - Mexican and Tex Mex

Surf & Turf - Title says it all.

Le Petit Plaisir - French - reservations required - Adult only

Shoji - Food from Asia, Vietnam, Thailand, Japan and China at teppanyaki stations - reservations required.

Las Dunas Beach House - casual dining

Legends- American diner.

If you log on to the hotels web site you can actually view all the menus for each restaurant to give you an idea of the food each of them offer.

Some restaurants need a reservation, some don't and some are adults only. There is also a very strict dress code for the evenings for men and vest type tops are a no no at any time in any restaurant.

Coffee shop
The Sweet Corner - Coffees, crepes, toasties, cakes, cookies and ice cream.

Bars
There are also 16 different bars including a smoothie bar too so there is never a shortage of finding a drink although deciding what and where could be a problem!. There is an extensive cocktail list. The espresso martini and margaritas were a favourite of mine although the bartenders will happily make anything as long as they have the ingredients.

Tours
There is a tour desk but we did not use as we did our own thing which we arranged from the UK - We swam with Whale Sharks and snorkelled with Turtles which was amazing. There are so many things to see and do in Mexico. We didn't do too much as we were staying at a high end resort so we wanted to make the most of what the resort had to offer.

Price
We paid £1200 per adult for a swim up room staying 7 nights all inclusive . This room was on offer at the time of booking as the resort had only been open a few months.

Children's Facilities
There is a children's pool area with slides which seemed well staffed and a nursery. This is in a secure children's area. This seemed to cater for kids of all ages and it appeared there was always something going on. My granddaughter just used the pool and played table tennis.

The Beach
The beach is on a nice powder soft sand in a small bay which was very clean .Dotted with sun loungers with tables and parasols. There are plenty of towel stations

Pools
There are 12 pool plus hot water jacuzzi's located around the resort including an overall main pool near the beach with a swim up bar.

Entertainment
There are lots of activities during the day for both adults and children to join in. there are table tennis, Spanish lessons, kayaking, paddleboard, aerobics, yoga, cooking classes, tennis, basketball, darts, archery, rifle shooting, try dives - to name but a few.
The evening entertainment included a traditional Mexican band, A white Night Evening on the Beach ( BBQ and all the décor, waiters draped in white with a fire & light show). Mexican Night.

My opinion
I loved breakfast at The Market Kitchen every morning with a Mimosa. They also had Dukes for a breakfast and of course room service. For dinner we liked Le Petit Plaisir which was an adults only , reservation restaurant. We did find some of the portions a bit small in general ( which I knew before hand) so we just ordered extra. The food was lovely and I preferred the smaller portions so I could try more different things. I also enjoyed Dukes Lobster and Seafood restaurant. I only eat fish so when I had finished my lobster I just ordered another - its all included!

The smoothie bar was lovely which sadly was away from the main area and often didn't have simple things like yoghurt!

The Sweet Corner which is a bit like a Costa which had a range of coffees ( which I didn't like at all) and cake, cookies, crepes ( these were lovely) and toasted sandwiches which were cold inside as they just didn't toast them long enough. This is a great coffee shop but needs work on producing a quality coffee and cooked toasties. There is also ice cream bar too but sadly it wasn't working during our stay. However there were ice cream machines in some locations.
never felt out of place.

One Spa
The Spa offers many options of pampering not just for women but men and children. The Spa has its own stand alone block. You need to make reservations.

My Final Word
The whole resort was immaculate. There are also options of Finest Club Rooms and Excellence Club rooms. The latter being for Adults only and gives you access to a few extra amenities (with no children).

Although children are welcomed here, fear not, its not overrun with noisy kids . All the children staying here were very well behaved.

Food was of an excellent quality although in the waiter service restaurants portions were on the small side, however you can order as much as you like so we would order two starters each as well as two deserts. I have to say we did not waste a thing.

The evening entertainment was excellent - very well done and the set up for the evening is amazing, its like a big event. Entertainment is usually rubbish in other resorts I have been to but we honestly enjoyed these nights, the food, the special drinks, the atmosphere.

The spa facilities at the resort were lovely but wow the treatments were very expensive.

You really feel that staying at this resort is a real holiday. Its like' how the other half lives!

• 1st2thebar published 03/01/2017
    Ambiguous menu descriptions. Read about the site to get an idea what's required.
  • danielclark691 published 30/12/2016
    very well covered. looks so peaceful
  • catsholiday published 29/06/2016
    We stayed at an all inclusive place on the Mayan Riviera and it was lovely