Firework - Katy Perry

Firework - Katy Perry

Genre: Pop - Release Year: 2010

Review of "Firework - Katy Perry"

published 27/02/2011 | xdonzx
Member since : 25/05/2007
Pro Different, catchy
Cons Not really a huge fan!
Originality
Quality of Lyrics/Music
How does it compare to the artist's other releases?

"~* Baby You're A Firework!! *~"

Firework is a song by American music artist Katy Perry. The single was released in the United Kingdom in October 2010. The song reached number three in the British singles chart. Firework is taken from Katy Perry's second album 'Teenage Dream'. You can buy the mp3 download version of this song from Amazon for around 89p which I think is great value for money.

At first, I didn't really like this song and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Although, after a few listens, I would consider this song to be somewhat likeable. It's ok; I wouldn't say it's absolutely fantastic, but it is ok. I would therefore say that this song is grower, and so would recommend giving it a couple of listens before you decide on an opinion.

I don't really know what to think of Katy Perry's voice. When I hear her records, I always think 'oh she's quite good', but then I saw her singing live on the television a while back, and she was, sorry to say, terrible. So it is very obvious that some form of auto-tune has been used on this track. Although, her voice does sound very 'big' and 'powerful' on this song, although, that could also be one of the effects of auto-tune.

For me, Katy Perry is a bit like marmite! You either love her or you hate her. Although, I can't quite make up my mind about her. When she first came out with her debut single "I Kissed A Girl", I liked her! I thought that she was great! However, after that she seemed to go downhill. Whilst her songs are ok, there is something about them that does not quite make me love them, as much as I would like to. This song is the same, you either love it or you hate it.

This song is very unique, and it is clear to say that Katy Perry is very different, compared to a lot of other music in the charts. It is nice to hear a song like this, which is different to all the other songs in the charts, although it's not a song that I really like.

The lyrics are quite strange, with lines such as: "Do you ever feel like a plastic bag
Drifting through the wind, wanting to start again" and "Do you ever feel already buried deep?Six feet under screams but no one seems to hear a thing".
I really like the lyrics in the chorus : "Cause baby, you're a firework/Come on, show 'em what you're worth/Make 'em go, oh/As you shoot across the sky"
They are lyrics which certainly make you think!

This song is ok, and so I would recommend it, although it isn't really my cup of tea.

Thanks for reading!