First Family - David Baldacci

First Family - David Baldacci

Review of "First Family - David Baldacci"

published 17/08/2011 | chrissie-anne
Member since : 05/02/2002
I am a full time student who enjoys reviewing products.Have been away from the site for a few years so just finding my feet again. Will do my best to read and rate as I go, I welcome your comments on my reviews. Am also on DY as CR1980.
Pro Great story, great characters
Cons It had to end!
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"A gripping read!"

I came across David Baldacci in the book section of my local Asda. I was looking for books to read on my last holiday and I picked a few different authors. Some of them I didn't bother to look up again but the David Baldacci one was so well written, I always keep an eye out for his books when I'm looking for a new read! This particular book was £2.50 in Morrisons and comes in at around 660 pages long. I read it on holiday over two days.

First Family as a title summons up thoughts of the Presidents family in the White House and indeed this family is at the centre of the story. Although it is a work of fiction, the information about the White House, Airforce One, Camp David and so on are based on reality and appear to be well researched.

The story starts out at Camp David, at the birthday party of the First Lady's neice. Shortly afterwards, the neice is kidnapped from her home in an attack, and all thoughts turn to her safe return. The First Lady contacts her old friend Sean, and he and his investigative partner Michelle start to try to find Willa and bring her back safely.

As they begin to investigate, several lines of enquiry arise and are dismissed as they start to worry about the fate of the young girl. They realise that all is not right with the First Lady and that maybe they aren't really supposed to find out the truth. Slowly the author introduces more characters and keeps the reader guessing as to what role they will turn out to play. I won't spoil it but David Baldacci seems to have the knack of evoking reading sympathy for the bad guy, even fitting in some justice by way of an epilogue.

Overall, I found this to be a gripping book. The real lift setting gives it a grounded reality although I would hope that the story itself wasn't real. It's detailed and well crafted and kept me hooked right til the final page.

If you like a riveting crime read then I would recommend not only this book, but also this authors other works which are of a great quality.

• catsholiday published 19/08/2011
    My husband enjoyed this one.
  • Alyson29 published 17/08/2011
    Not one I've heard of, but sounds interesting x