Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone

Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone

Review of "Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone"

published 30/05/2009 | Autarkis
Member since : 04/12/2008
23:01.2012: Received autism diagnosis for my precious son. Everyday is magical with my little boy.
Pro Traditional long lasting toy, that's great value for money
Cons Cord on receiver is a bit short,I'm going to have to cut this off
Educational Value

""Ring Ring" It's For You!"

Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone.

Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone.

I was delighted when I was out shopping and happened to notice the chatter phone staring at me from the toy shelf in Wilkinson’s. I remember this phone from my childhood and my daughter had a Fisher price phone a good 12 years ago and I remembered how much enjoyment she had out of it. It hasn’t changed much apart from it is now made out of plastic opposed to the wooden one my daughter had.

This is a great basic traditional child's toy by Fisher Price, it has been around for years, I only paid £4 for it and I couldn’t believe the low price, it generally retails around £4 - £6 which is excellent value for money. The chatter phone is recommended for Preschoolers and is suitable from 1 year +.
This is a great simple toy as it requires no batteries!

It is a good chunky white old fashioned phone that has some nice little features that are a bright red receiver; and a traditional number dial with the numbers 0 to 9 on it. On the front of the phone is a happy face with eyes that move up and down when the phone is wheeled or pulled across the floor. The phone has bright red wheels and a cord at the front to pull the phone along. When the number dial is turned and released it makes a ringing noise, and when it is pulled across the floor it makes a clicking sound as the eyes move up and down. The cord on the hand receiver is slightly short which means my son lifts the entire phone when he lifts the receiver to his ear. This toy is great for baby's that are crawling as they will have fun pushing it along the floor or chasing after it as you pull it across the floor for them. It is also good for toddlers that can walk as they will enjoy pulling across the floor themselves.

As can be expected with all Fisher Price toys it is of great quality, and it is strong and durable. My son is quite boisterous and this phone has been bashed about and dropped quite a few times and it is still in perfect condition with no damage or parts being broken. It is made from a solid plastic and has no small parts that are likely to break off. The phone unit has soft rounded edges so a child is less likely to hurt themselves.

It is easily cleaned as there are not many areas for dust and grime to collect and as it is all made from plastic it can be wiped clean with soapy water.

This toy is fun and educational. The phone aids in speech development, self expression, imaginative skills and role play, it helps to promote sensory development, imaginative and creative play.

All babies and children love to imitate others, and as a phone is used often in daily life children love to be able to copy mum and dad and get great pleasure in imitating us with this toy phone. This toy is not only good for younger children, but nice as they get older to use this phone in role play to have imaginary conversations.

You don't always need to spend a lot of money on high tech toys to entertain children; it is good to see that there are still some good old fashioned non high tech toys out there.

The only drawback to this phone is the fact that Fisher Price have shortened the cord to the hand receiver for safety reasons, although the cord to pull the phone along is longer so this doesn’t make much sense to me. My son has never minded lifting the phone when he speaks into it, although he does bend down to the phone and have his head angled to the side as he holds the receiver to his ear. I may end up cutting the cord off so that he can use the phone easier.

I bought this phone for my son when he was 9 months old and he still loves to play with it now at the age of 19 months, I can see he will get a lot more play out of it yet. He loves anything with wheels and he really enjoys pulling and pushing it along the floor. He also likes pointing to the different facial features, and he has easily managed to operate the phone dial from a young age. I will often make the noise of the phone and he will go and look for his phone and lift it to his ear, and then bring it to me to let me talk, he finds this rather amusing. He has had hours of fun out of it and will get much more enjoyment out of it as he grows and learns.

The phone will be great for children as their speech develops you can have chats on the phone, and use it as part of a game for role play.

Although the phone is old fashioned, I still think children will love to use it and it won't confuse them on how a real phone works as they have plenty of time to learn that later in life.

It has been great value for money, and a great basic fun toy that I highly recommend.

Summary: Classic toys can never be beaten

• angelboouk123 published 09/06/2010
    my son has this phone too and i had one when i was a child as well x
  • Staffenburg published 26/05/2010
    At least you wont get people trying to sell you things at the other end :D
  • afy9mab published 07/05/2010
    I wonder if kids can identify this as a telephone these days. I can't remember the last time I saw a rotary dial phone.

offers "Fisher-Price Chatter Telephone"